Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
(See Pete Howell's thread on inflight entertainment (ipod?)) I am still doing a lot of cleanup on our property following the January 27 ice storm here in NW Arkansas but I had to do two instrument approaches to remain current beyond the end of February so I went to the airport this morning. I saw the photos provided in the referenced thread by Pete and that motivated me to take my box of hardware (including the GPS 695) for a fit check using a mount point over the spar between the seats in our (my wife and I) RV-6A. The base in Pete's photo would be more convenient than the RAM mount supplied with my unit - a yoke shaft clamp design with pivot balls at both ends of the split clamp/strut. To my very pleasant surprise the length of the strut places the GPS in a good position without interfering with our legs or any of the instrument panel or the controls on the console. I plan to remove the yoke clamp and grind the clamp base to a flat mounting surface and mount it with screws using the platenuts I previously installed in the seat pan panels over the spar and between the seats for my old reliable GPS 90. It looks like it will be a very practical installation. I already have a "cigarette lighter" outlet wired into the console top back under the instrument panel. In today's flight I used the aircraft power but laid the GPS 695 in the right seat. The display looks good but when I'm flying actual I don't have enough attention span to chance studying the performance of a new unit.

Bob Axsom

Hi Bob,

I agree that the center position in a side-by-side would be a good spot for the rather large "portable" 69x's. We have mounted ours in that spot in our Honda (clamping it to the handbrake lever) to see weather on road trips. Instead of butchering the clamp mount, you can buy the RAM mounts pretty cheap at ACS - they bolt right on to flat surfaces. You probably already new that - others might not.

Paul

Bob--

Are you at concerned about the "heads down" aspect of this set-up? Spatial disorientation in actual instrument conditions, visual diversion during VFR.

Unless I don't understand what you're considering, I just wonder about this idea, even if it fits great.

Best-

Joe

If I understand what Bob is describing, it is going to be in a similar location (relative to the pilot) as where I have mine in my -8 - basically, just outboard of my right hip. Works great there for me, even in instrument conditions. It's not like I am using it as a primary flight instrument.

Paul

Someday, I plan to mount my 696 in the center of the panel. In the meantime, it's attached to the corner bracket with three thumbscrews & a bracket I reworked from my 496. It's angled towards me, and only makes the starter switch a bit more awkward to use. I do like this location though, as I don't have to look down.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

It will not be a problem for me...

The unit on the strut is easily in the field of view of both occupants and the display is so large that it does not require a lot of refocusing to cross check track and situation. Fitting is a problem in my airplane but there are more important hurdles I had to overcome to make the unit usable by me. They were:

- I must have my approach plates and charts on my left kneeboard - I cannot change how I fly and risk procedural confusion to accomodate the unit.
- I have to have my flight plan for dead reconing, pilotage and radio navigation and ATC clearances on my right kneeboard for the same reason as above.
- I have to have unobstructed visual and physical access to my fuel controls on my center console (two valves for main and tip tanks)
- I have to have freedom from objects interfering with comfortable seating and entry and exit.

These are the reasons I took the hardware to the airport today and made a fit check. I was very very plesantly surprised. Currently I have my little GPS 90 down between the cushions on its little modified mount and I use it for some cross checks of stepdown fixes etc. since I only have one VOR/LOC/GS and an SL-60 GPS with a MAP 360 display. There has been no spatial disorientation for me but I have experienced it in another situation and I understand your concern. When I glance at this television sized unit right there below the engine controls I feel nothing but relief. Other pilots with different practices and procedures will probably feel differently - I just can't visualize a problem with this placement.

Bob Axsom

Bob--

Are you at concerned about the "heads down" aspect of this set-up? Spatial disorientation in actual instrument conditions, visual diversion during VFR.

Unless I don't understand what you're considering, I just wonder about this idea, even if it fits great.

Best-

Joe

Last edited: