N941WR

Legacy Member
Watching all the posts about % power and fuel burn made me a bit curious so I did some searching and found this brochure from ECI.

Check out the comparison chart on the 3rd page. Since these numbers were most likely generated in a test sell and normalized to standard conditions (and with traditional magnetos), they are believable and have nothing to do with speed, strictly power output.

(And they actually match up to what I recall seeing on airplanes I flew before I knew how to spell RV.)

How to these numbers compare to what you are seeing?

(I just love starting a good fight!)

io-360-a1b6d numbers from a recorded flight

I just looked at flight data I recorded. My GRT EFIS calculates a 65% power setting when I'm typically turning 23.5 squared and showing 8.2 gph fuel flow and that's leaned past peak and flying 2000 MSL. Yeah, I'll lean past peak when my power setting is that low. My plane seems to love it.

my average IAS for that data set was 168 MPH.

Update: I did a flight today and took some numbers down: 64% power on the GRT EFIS, RPM 2310, 22.9 MP, 7.3 gph, 24.8 miles per gallon, 3500 MSL, avg airspeed 165 mph.

Last edited:
Not scientific, but.............

Last weekend, at 9,500' & 10,500' msl reversed course, my RV6A averaged
181.5 mph --- ground speed at 7.9 gph. I don't have the fancier "gizmo's" to tell me my power output, and I'm ROP since I have a carb. This was at 20"/2300 rpm.

L.Adamson --- RV6A Lyc 0360/Hartzell C/S

O-320 = slower

This is a bit better than I usually do, but close to normal. The FF and TAS have been calibrated. Hartzell, carb, dual EI 154ktas on 6.1 GPH. 56% power/LOP. These are the settings I use for almost all my XC work.

Meet%20Liv_066.JPG

I have the sense that Pete is smoking me, I've posted some recent performance #s on my blog at much higher (normal for us) altitudes. We usually fly altitudes for personal comfort, not performance, which usually means 12-15k'. Very interesting comparison.

Last edited:
Still in the early stages of phase 1.....

RV6 - no leg fairings or wheel pants - 15hr TT - new YO360-A1A - FP Sensenich 72/85 - flies hands and feet off in cruise. Being phase 1 typical flight is mixed 2300 rpm cruise, climbs, descents and traffic pattern. Seem to be getting a consistent 6.7 to 6.8 ghp un-leaned. Probably not a good comparision to a typical long cross-country flight but I'm hopeful of decent economy when I'm finally "allowed out of the box".
Jim Sharkey