craig.roser

Patron
UMATILLA X23. RNAV GPS A. Garmin G3X GNX375 GMC507. Loaded and activated the approach. Autopilot in APR mode. Lateral guidance perfect from IAF OTIZY back to hold at TENUY after MISSED APPROACH. The autopilot armed GP mode but remained on ALT mode. Why didn't the autopilot follow the GP?

What the best practice for this approach CIRCLING to land?

Did you intercept the GP? If you are below the glide path when you arm the approach, it will not capture it.

What is frustrating then, why does the autopilot arm GP! The indication should simply remain ALT.

Pages 345-346 in the current G3X Touch pilot's guide (revision Y) cover this; when you press "APR" button on the GMC you are asking the flight director to arm both lateral and vertical moves for an approach.

For information about approaches without vertical guidance, refer to pages 357-359. For LNAV-only approaches you simply use the flight director's GPS mode ("NAV" button on the GMC) and manage the altitude using whatever relevant flight director mode you choose.

Pages 345-346 in the current G3X Touch pilot's guide (revision Y) cover this; when you press "APR" button on the GMC you are asking the flight director to arm both lateral and vertical moves for an approach.

For information about approaches without vertical guidance, refer to pages 357-359. For LNAV-only approaches you simply use the flight director's GPS mode ("NAV" button on the GMC) and manage the altitude using whatever relevant flight director mode you choose.
Thank you for the detail but the question remains, why does the autopilot arm GP mode? There is a Glide Path 3.50 depicted on the chart.

Thank you for the detail but the question remains, why does the autopilot arm GP mode? There is a Glide Path 3.50 depicted on the chart.
The flight director (not autopilot, there is a difference) arms GP mode because you told it to when you pressed the "APR" key on the GMC.

The flight director (not autopilot, there is a difference) arms GP mode because you told it to when you pressed the "APR" key on the GMC.
Thank you for the detail! But if GP mode is armed why doesn't the autopilot fly it?

Thank you for the detail! But if GP mode is armed why doesn't the autopilot fly it?
As mentioned above, this is an LNAV-only approach; there is no published glide path. Some LNAV-only approaches include advisory vertical guidance, which will be annunciated on your HSI as "LNAV+V", but this one does not appear to. So although your flight director might have had GP mode armed, there probably was no vertical guidance available for it to fly.

Aren't you always below the glide path before you fly level into it to intercept it?
Technically not always but yes you are correct. I guess I should have been more clear with my question, if the GP was intercepted but thanks for pointing this out.

As mentioned above, this is an LNAV-only approach; there is no published glide path. Some LNAV-only approaches include advisory vertical guidance, which will be annunciated on your HSI as "LNAV+V", but this one does not appear to. So although your flight director might have had GP mode armed, there probably was no vertical guidance available for it to fly.
My problem the ambiguity can get you killed! I've reached out to Garmin to see if they can explain.

For me there’s no ambiguity. The system annunciated the vertical mode your selected. With only circling minimums the approach does not have vertical guidance nor is the system capable of generating an advisory glide path (no LNAV +V) so it stayed GP armed as it had nothing to capture. You seem to think that because this approach didn’t generate vertical guidance that it should never have let you arm the GP. But I don’t see that as a system architecture failure, but rather a lack of full understanding how the system’s vertical navigation works for various approach minima. With no GP to capture the system is going to maintain the selected altitude until you select another vertical mode, like VS, and command a decent to the next selected minimum altitude or the MDA. The glide path angle you mentioned above is there to help you figure out what minimum decent rate you need based ground speed using the climb/decent table.

Last edited:
For me there’s no ambiguity. The system annunciated the vertical mode your selected. With only circling minimums the approach does not have vertical guidance nor is the system capable of generating an advisory glide path (no LNAV +V) so it stayed GP armed as it had nothing to capture. You seem to think that because this approach didn’t generate vertical guidance that it should never have let you arm the GP. But I don’t see that as a system architecture failure, but rather a lack of full understanding how the system’s vertical navigation works for various

It's difficult to understand why you see no ambiguity. If I see GP armed I expect GP to be followed. In my opinion it's a fail to arm a mode that will not be engaged.

Think about it this way what if ALTS was engaged when you were flying IAS at 100 knots. Would you ever expect to keep on climbing at the set altitude? Methinks you will agree the answer is NO!

Why would you expect an instrument approach with no published GP to have one that the A/P would capture and fly?

It's difficult to understand why you see no ambiguity. If I see GP armed I expect GP to be followed. In my opinion it's a fail to arm a mode that will not be engaged.

Think about it this way what if ALTS was engaged when you were flying IAS at 100 knots. Would you ever expect to keep on climbing at the set altitude? Methinks you will agree the answer is NO!
Logic fallacy on your part. How is the armed GP going to capture something that‘s not there? You should recognize that and select a different vertical mode that will accomplish the altitude changes as depicted at an appropriate non-precision decent rate. Bottom line is the system worked as intended.

You are suggesting we ignore features of our avionics automation! Garmin is failing us to believe we should expect things in some circumstances but we have to confirm it in others.

Because the GP was ARMED! And there is a glide path described on the chart.
The glide slope angle is there solely for you to use to calculate a decent rate. This approach does not have a vertical path, it has an MDA. There is no vertical path guidance that can be generated for the system to capture and fly.

The glide slope angle is there solely for you to use to calculate a decent rate. This approach does not have a vertical path, it has an MDA. There is no vertical path guidance that can be generated for the system to capture and fly.
Respectfully you are missing the point. If there no vertical guidance DON'T ARM GP!

Respectfully you are missing the point. If there no vertical guidance DON'T ARM GP!
I kind of agree with you. Imho this is one of the very few (minor) ergonomic screw ups Garmin has made. “Approach” is the wrong label for this button. It should say ‘Precision Approach’ or ‘approach w/ GS’. As explained above, for no glide slope approaches you shouldn’t push the approach button,

This is a pet peeve of mine. On the government approach charts what looks like a GS are actually a step down fixes. The symbology is subtly different, but you can tell by looking at the numbers that the first and second segments have different slopes. Get ahold of a Jepp chart for this approach, much better symbology, it’s obvious there that these are step-downs.

This approach does not have a vertical path, it has an MDA. There is no vertical path guidance that can be generated for the system to capture and fly.
Yes, and this will be explicitly annunciated as "LNAV" instead of "LNAV+V" on the HSI.

Thank you for the detail but the question remains, why does the autopilot arm GP mode? There is a Glide Path 3.50 depicted on the chartBecause the GP was ARMED! And there is a glide path described on the chart.
Sir. I have both plates opened, NOS and Jeppesen. That 3.5 degrees is a "descent path" only (TERPS AKA as a VDA -Vertical Descent Angle). It is not a "glide path" as one would see on an LNAV/VNAV, LPV or standard ILS. That particular approach has circling minimums probably because the descent gradient exceeds 400 ft/NM from the FAF (JATGA) to the threshold crossing height of 40' at RW01. (TERPS Criteria) But by using the GS/KTS chart and the 3.5 degree descent angle the "rate" of descent can be calculated (example 100 kt GS = 619 fpm descent). That ROD should get your to the VDP at the MDA to capture the 3.5 degree PAPI lights on the right side of the runway without a dramatic power change The auto-pilot buttons do not know what approach has been loaded in the FMS and what is operational, it is up the the crew to determine what is the correct selection. i.e if you don't push any buttons, she'll just sit in the last mode she was assigned, For your instance, an example would be an simple ILS approach that we know has both lateral and vertical guidance. But the new ATIS NOTAMS say the GS is OTS. So we would need to know that "APPR" mode is not going to work today (she'll do what happend to you on the GPS NPA and just hold last selected ALT of 2000') So we need to resort to a LOC only (LNAV type) programming. We would select NAV only and use VS as the descent criteria. In your scenario it was the fact that the ALT selector will always be honored unless a valid GS signal is received. (This is also why when ALT is showing in the PFD on an ILS and the GS is captured you can then change the ALT selection to the MAP altitude without the AP climbing back up the hill) I can provide some "lite" reading to assist in learning Continuous Descent Final Approaches which can also help in all NP approaches you may encounter. - cappy

Why would you expect a GP to be followed on an approach that does not have one?

Approach brief anyone?

I’ll state the Garmin automation documentation for experimental could have some improvements.

But that’s a long way from expecting it to do something when the approach doesn’t actually exist

Last edited:
This is a pet peeve of mine. On the government approach charts what looks like a GS are actually a step down fixes. The symbology is subtly different, but you can tell by looking at the numbers that the first and second segments have different slopes. Get ahold of a Jepp chart for this approach, much better symbology, it’s obvious there that these are step-downs.
I have both charts up at the moment. Sorta agree as the NOS chart depicts the newer technique of a CDFA profile, (Continuous Descent Final Approach), while Jepp still shows the old step-down “dive and drive” from years ago. The fact that the plate(s) both show only an MDA, not a “Decision Height” is the clue that no GS is available. See my previous post.

Craig,

I understand your frustration, and also feel this is an opportunity to learn (or in my case, reinforce a lesson ;)). After retiring from the 737 world (Luv'd it ;)), I've jumped into a G200, and went from flying a lot of ILS and RNAV (RNP) approaches, to a fairly different AP/FD system, and a wider variety of RNAV GPS approaches, both precision and non-precision. The G200 has the same APCH button as you describe, that arms both lateral and vertical flight director and autopilot modes (the 737s I flew did not). Took a little getting used to.

On an ILS or LNAV/VNAV (precision) approach, pushing that button arms both FD modes and if the AP is on, it captures both. If, instead, we're flying a NP approach (LOC only or LNAV only...like the one you are referring to), we capture course guidance with the NAV button, and fly the vertical path with VS. Selecting the APCH button would be a programming error for this type of approach. The recommended rate of decent and GP angle from the chart, in this case, is a reference that can be used in selecting a VS to fly the vertical path smoothly. If we were to try to fly a LOC only or an LNAV (only) NP approach (like your approach) by hitting the APCH button, what happened to you, would happen to us. There is no GP to capture, so it would fly happily along the lateral path and not begin descent. That GP "armed" annunciation would lie to us the whole time, and it would not capture a glide path, because there isn't one to capture. It's there because we chose the wrong mode on the FD/AP, not because it has an inherent flaw. Our bad, not it's bad. That would have been an approach planning error on our part, that should have been caught in the approach brief (noting and briefing the NP nature of the approach, and briefing the appropriate modes to be used...in this case, NAV and VS).

Another way of saying what you said above is, if there is no vertical guidance, don't select APCH..., i.o.w., don't try to arm GP (meaning us, the pilots...because it's not going to work). Understanding the approach we are flying, and using the correct modes, is the key to safety in this situation. With two pilots to vet it, it may perhaps be easier to catch and trap those errors. In single pilot IFR ops, its even more important to study the plates, and self-brief all the nuances (and limitations) of a specific approach.

Good reminder for me ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Craig,

I understand your frustration, and also feel this is an opportunity to learn (or in my case, reinforce a lesson ;)). After retiring from the 737 world (Luv'd it ;)), I've jumped into a G200, and went from flying a lot of ILS and RNAV (RNP) approaches, to a fairly different AP/FD system, and a wider variety of RNAV GPS approaches, both precision and non-precision. The G200 has the same APCH button as you describe, that arms both lateral and vertical flight director and autopilot modes (the 737s I flew did not). Took a little getting used to.

On an ILS or LNAV/VNAV (precision) approach, pushing that button arms both FD modes and if the AP is on, it captures both. If, instead, we're flying a NP approach (LOC only or LNAV only...like the one you are referring to), we capture course guidance with the NAV button, and fly the vertical path with VS. Selecting the APCH button would be a programming error for this type of approach. The recommended rate of decent and GP angle from the chart, in this case, is a reference that can be used in selecting a VS to fly the vertical path smoothly. If we were to try to fly a LOC only or an LNAV (only) NP approach (like your approach) by hitting the APCH button, what happened to you, would happen to us. There is no GP to capture, so it would fly happily along the lateral path and not begin descent. That GP "armed" annunciation would lie to us the whole time, and it would not capture a glide path, because there isn't one to capture. It's there because we chose the wrong mode on the FD/AP, not because it has an inherent flaw. Our bad, not it's bad. That would have been an approach planning error on our part, that should have been caught in the approach brief (noting and briefing the NP nature of the approach, and briefing the appropriate modes to be used...in this case, NAV and VS).

Another way of saying what you said above is, if there is no vertical guidance, don't select APCH..., i.o.w., don't try to arm GP (meaning us, the pilots...because it's not going to work). Understanding the approach we are flying, and using the correct modes, is the key to safety in this situation. With two pilots to vet it, it may perhaps be easier to catch and trap those errors. In single pilot IFR ops, its even more important to study the plates, and self-brief all the nuances (and limitations) of a specific approach.

Good reminder for me ;)

Cheers,
Bob
Thanks Bob, you did a better explanation than I did at 00:20 with a nice Homebrew in my belly!

Thanks Bob, you did a better explanation than I did at 00:20 with a nice Homebrew in my belly!
Dave,

I thought yours was good as well, beer-30 notwithstanding :).

And have I ever blown through a GS intercept because I had the wrong mode selected, or was on a NP approach and it wasn't going to capture like I thought it was...of course (ahem). Recovery via "fly the jet dummy", and land if you catch it early and can stabilize the approach, or go around if you can't stabilize it. Live and learn...or is it learn and live? ;)

Cheers,
Bob

There is no GP. You don’t seem to understand the different types of approaches or how to differentiate between them. Perhaps more study of instrument procedures would answer your question.
As already stated above, the 3.5 your mentioning is for your information to figure descent rate. It is not a GP.

Sir. I have both plates opened, NOS and Jeppesen. That 3.5 degrees is a "descent path" only (TERPS AKA as a VDA -Vertical Descent Angle). It is not a "glide path" as one would see on an LNAV/VNAV, LPV or standard ILS. That particular approach has circling minimums probably because the descent gradient exceeds 400 ft/NM from the FAF (JATGA) to the threshold crossing height of 40' at RW01. (TERPS Criteria) But by using the GS/KTS chart and the 3.5 degree descent angle the "rate" of descent can be calculated (example 100 kt GS = 619 fpm descent). That ROD should get your to the VDP at the MDA to capture the 3.5 degree PAPI lights on the right side of the runway without a dramatic power change The auto-pilot buttons do not know what approach has been loaded in the FMS and what is operational, it is up the the crew to determine what is the correct selection. i.e if you don't push any buttons, she'll just sit in the last mode she was assigned, For your instance, an example would be an simple ILS approach that we know has both lateral and vertical guidance. But the new ATIS NOTAMS say the GS is OTS. So we would need to know that "APPR" mode is not going to work today (she'll do what happend to you on the GPS NPA and just hold last selected ALT of 2000') So we need to resort to a LOC only (LNAV type) programming. We would select NAV only and use VS as the descent criteria. In your scenario it was the fact that the ALT selector will always be honored unless a valid GS signal is received. (This is also why when ALT is showing in the PFD on an ILS and the GS is captured you can then change the ALT selection to the MAP altitude without the AP climbing back up the hill) I can provide some "lite" reading to assist in learning Continuous Descent Final Approaches which can also help in all NP approaches you may encounter. - cappy
Exactly. The OP is incorrect in his interpretation that a Glide Path is depicted on the chart. Rather, as Dr/_Dave indicates it's a descent path that can be used along with winds, airspeed, etc... as a basis for mental calculations of a descent VS in order to smooth out the descent profile (the pilot still being responsible for not descending below crossing altitudes at step-down fixes). Another poster's use of a VOR or LOC approach, or an ILS where the GS fails, is a good analogy as well.

Bottom line, there is no vertical guidance for this approach, and the avionics won't calculate an advisory despite what you tell the FD you "want". It will look for it all day because you told it to, but won't act on one that either doesn't exist (this case), isn't detected, or doesn't meet meet other criteria, e.g. if intercepted from above, APs typically won't "dive" to capture it. In addition to the fact that there are only LNAV minimums, this is a -A approach. By definition, the final approach course is significantly mis-aligned with a landing runway. That alone should tell you that there is no glide path, and that you wouldn't want a FD/AP to calculate an advisory one. I certainly don't recall ever seeing an approach that doesn't have a runway designation, e.g. one with ONLY circling mins, with a glide path. When APs that I fly get to descent minimums , they expect the pilot to take action, e.g. maneuver to land or go missed. if nothing is done, they will continue the descent rather than level off. Never good, but particularly bad when that would result in intercepting the ground some distance from a runway.

I kind of agree with you. Imho this is one of the very few (minor) ergonomic screw ups Garmin has made. “Approach” is the wrong label for this button. It should say ‘Precision Approach’ or ‘approach w/ GS’. As explained above, for no glide slope approaches you shouldn’t push the approach button,
Yes I remember this confusing me when I first got my G5/307 combination. I wrongly assumed that for every approach you would press the APR button.
It's there because we chose the wrong mode on the FD/AP, not because it has an inherent flaw.
It’s definitely choosing the wrong mode, and that’s the real problem, but I think there’s still room for some blame all around. A button labeled “APR” that you press for some approaches, but not others, is certainly not optimal from a human factors standpoint.

Well I've learned a lot! Interesting that ILS or LOC depicts GS for Glide Slope RNAV WITH VERTICAL GUIDANCE depicts GP for Glide Path RNAV WITH MDA ONLY does not depict VDA Vertical Descent Angle.

1722719696257.png

Also never knew you didn't use the APR button on every approach . . . .

Well I've learned a lot! Interesting that ILS or LOC depicts GS for Glide Slope RNAV WITH VERTICAL GUIDANCE depicts GP for Glide Path RNAV WITH MDA ONLY does not depict VDA Vertical Descent Angle'

Also never knew you didn't use the APR button on every approach . . . .
The answer to your op question is not immediately clear, but with all the posts it is pretty well done.

Thanks for the thread - - - I've been flying IFR in my -7 G3X/GTN650 for 300 hrs now and it is the non-touch version. I have done many approaches with success but not without surprises - [what are you doing . . ]. Still - -I spent a few hours today rereading my G3X pilot manual and the recent article in August 24 IFR mag. I learned some new things here too. The "vertical guidance" for GP and GS also has a magenta V for VNAV - - read up on that, I might be your vertical AP mode for this type of approach. It kicks off the GP mode (appr) but gps will still track the lateral path. LNAV guidance has a VSI target bug to keep you on the descent path. This in within G3X but also may work in your navigator to assist the descent.

Thanks all for the mental stimulation and improving my knowledge.

The answer to your op question is not immediately clear, but with all the posts it is pretty well done.

Thanks for the thread - - - I've been flying IFR in my -7 G3X/GTN650 for 300 hrs now and it is the non-touch version. I have done many approaches with success but not without surprises - [what are you doing . . ]. Still - -I spent a few hours today rereading my G3X pilot manual and the recent article in August 24 IFR mag. I learned some new things here too. The "vertical guidance" for GP and GS also has a magenta V for VNAV - - read up on that, I might be your vertical AP mode for this type of approach. It kicks off the GP mode (appr) but gps will still track the lateral path. LNAV guidance has a VSI target bug to keep you on the descent path. This in within G3X but also may work in your navigator to assist the descent.

Thanks all for the mental stimulation and improving my knowledge.
If you use a pseudo GP on a NPA remember to set a DDA (Derived Decision Altitude) rather than the MDA, I.E. +50’ of the MDA.

Vertical modes seem to be where most complexity and head scratching occurs.
My only minor gripe with Garmin is that the system and its capabilities has at times gotten ahead of the documentation for experimental installations.

These aren’t the 430s/Stecs that many of us probably learnt on.
For non professionals, Unless you did your instrument training on a G5 (G6 for some functions) or later Cirrus then there are going to be differences to how you may have been trained. Or what you expect that APR button to do. Old habits can be hard to shake.

There have been meaningful changes in buttonology just in the last 2 years.
Multiple concurrent armed vertical modes for example. VNAV transition to approach another.

VNAV and its interaction with ALTV vs ALTS and GP is another good one. When is that bugged altitude going to level you off - or not? It’s all in the manual but you can’t have that open while flying.

It’s an amazing system all said, and we are extremely fortunate to have leading edge avionics in experimentals - but it does require that you understand what to expect when you push buttons. Recency is as important as ever.

What would be great is a combined G3X/GTN/GFC sim app. There’s a G500/GTN one so you’d think shouldnt be too hard.

Vertical modes seem to be where most complexity and head scratching occurs.
My only minor gripe with Garmin is that the system and its capabilities has at times gotten ahead of the documentation for experimental installations.

These aren’t the 430s/Stecs that many of us probably learnt on.
For non professionals, Unless you did your instrument training on a G5 (G6 for some functions) or later Cirrus then there are going to be differences to how you may have been trained. Or what you expect that APR button to do. Old habits can be hard to shake.

There have been meaningful changes in buttonology just in the last 2 years.
Multiple concurrent armed vertical modes for example. VNAV transition to approach another.

VNAV and its interaction with ALTV vs ALTS and GP is another good one. When is that bugged altitude going to level you off - or not? It’s all in the manual but you can’t have that open while flying.

It’s an amazing system all said, and we are extremely fortunate to have leading edge avionics in experimentals - but it does require that you understand what to expect when you push buttons. Recency is as important as ever.

What would be great is a combined G3X/GTN/GFC sim app. There’s a G500/GTN one so you’d think shouldnt be too hard.
Craig,

Good reminder for me ;)

Cheers,
Bob
By flying GPS NAV mode for this approach and doing the step downs either manually or with VS, not selecting Approach mode may be fine for a successful approach, but if you don't arm approach, will you get the missed sequencing? I guess it's part of the loaded procedure.. so the navigation to the missed hold is loaded and just have to hit TOGA? In the climbing left turn back to TENUY will you get vertical or are you still on your own?

I was reading this and I think the original question is valid it is a common error even among professionals. I fly professionally and have flown and taught many different avionics packages. I also have the G3X system in my 9A. This is not just Garmin that has this. Many good explanations of how you do it but I thought I would try to address the why.
So, it's a priority issue. If you have an altitude set it is suppose to require a very deliberate action to violate this. This is why when you have an altitude set and you hit VS and dial a climb or decent you get yellow caution and an audible alarm (Setting altitude then VS and Rate prevents this). So the only time/way you can exit a set altitude is to have GP armed and Approch armed. I think of GP (Glide Path) as Ground Pound because that's what it is going to do. This is very serious so that's why someone mentioned setting an altitude alert. Controlled flight into terrain is much more common than it should be and our avionics engineers are trying to make it difficult. Hope this helps!!! Fly Safe