Zmyslowski

I'm New Here
My new Lycoming YIO-360-M1B came from Lycoming (via Vans) with slotted governor blanking plate and CS oil line in place. My RV-8 will be fitted with a FP prop. This 2008 thread (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=42685&page=2) suggests I do NOT need to perforate the rear crank plug to run the engine safely.

Lycoming's SI 1435 does not mention anything other than you SHOULD perforate the rear crank plug.

My inspecting engineer says that the engine should run safely as it is without perforating the rear crank plug, with the slotted governor blanking plate and CS oil line in place.

I telephoned Lycoming today and asked their advice which was ... to follow SI 1435! He said the engine comes with the slotted plate and oil line installed as that is how they ran it in the test cell.

However, he then added "the guys on the Vans forum usually know what they are talking about". ;)

So, as some time has passed since 2008, I turn to you guys for more information.

Q1. Over the years has anyone been running a FP prop on a Lycoming-360 without perforating the rear crank plug, but with the slotted governor blanking plate and CS oil line in place safely?

Q2. If so, for how many hours?

Andrzej (QB RV-8, G-GORV)