TX7A

Well Known Member
I have an ECi 0-360 in which I am getting ready to install the prop governor on to. The governor drive adapter is attached to the engine and I have installed the four studs that are used to attach the governor itself. However, getting the nuts started is quiet difficult. I'm afraid that if I wrench the nuts on with too much torque, I could possibly crack the adapter casting. All four of the studs are the same as far as the fit.
Is there any reason I shouldn't chase the threads of the studs with a die? (5/16 x 18 threads) I tried it on one of the studs and it seems to work great. I know A/C threads are rolled and using a die may compromise the strength.

Any advice on this?

The studs if I remember correctly are supposed to go into the adapter with friction, if the nuts are not going on easliy then the studs are probably in backwards. The studs need to be installed with either a stud driver or being double nutted, put a small drop of oil on the stud and drive it into the adapter. The one way to trult tell if you have the studs in backwards is to pull one out and check to see if the nut will go onto the end that you screwed into the adapter.

James

James is right. The aircraft studs do have friction when installing. Do not go to NAPA/Autozone, etc., and purchase automotive studs for use on the aircraft engine.
You can and should put some anti-sieze lubricant on them when installing them.

Vic

Studs

As mentioned your studs are most likely in backwards.

Additionally, make sure you set the height of the studs to accept the lock washer, washer and possibly the governor bracket thickness. If you are using a backet that mounts to the rear of the governor then you don't need to worry about this.

Paul