TomL

I'm New Here
Thanks to all for the useful information that I have read here during the past months. I am planning to order an RV10 QB after a visit to Van's in a few weeks (and after solving problem below).
A word of warning on medical issues:
I am going for my medical after not flying for about 18 years. I have slight high-blood pressure, and will go to see the FAA MD armed with a glowing report from my physician, plus good results from a stress-test. Not trusting anything to chance, I had all of my medical records mailed to ME (not the FAA MD). Upon reviewing them, I found that the MD who had overseen the stress-test had entered my medical cardiac history as hypertension (correct), shortness of beath (NO NO NO!!!) and chest pain (NO NO NO!!!!). Where the heck did these last two come from ????? I am now in discussion with the medical records office at the local hospital, the MD that oversaw the stress-test, and my physician to try to get this out of my record. Thousands of medical$$$ for this??? ARRGGGHHHH!!!

Good Luck!

I've found that doctors, even more so than FAA, don't like to admit they made a mistake. Several of years ago I had a routine cancer screening (covered 100% by insurance) turn into a $700+ copay because the doctor filled out the paperwork wrong and then refused to correct it.
I have NOT gone back to that doctor.

Which is exactly why - for me - IF it happens, I'll have to go Sport Pilot from the start and build a 12. These past several months I've encountered the exact same health issue, but I'm not willing to pay big bucks to defend it, and float on the whims of some bureaucrat year after year.

I'll tell ya, that last physical was a real let down for me.

medical

for hypertension you do not need a stress test--only comments about BP and minimal labs. don't give any more than you need to. doc probably put that stuff on stress test to get insurance to pay for it. it will be hard, but it can be removed. lbb

Tom, I just got my first FAA physical ever, and I haven't flown since 1991. I also have mild hypertension. All that was required was that I list my medicine, test below 155/95 and have my doctor fill out a fact sheet. It included a recent EKG (which I had to get) and three blood pressure readings (below 155/95) in the last 90 days. My regular doc filled out the sheet and I faxed it and the EKG to the FAA doc and got my Class III certificate in the mail the next week.

For all that other stuff, you don't have to give the FAA guy any documentation, just list all your visits to the doctor in the last 3 years. He said to list all of them as "Follow Up Visit" for my initial hypertension appointment.

-John

Thanks to all for the useful information that I have read here during the past months. I am planning to order an RV10 QB after a visit to Van's in a few weeks (and after solving problem below).
A word of warning on medical issues:
I am going for my medical after not flying for about 18 years. I have slight high-blood pressure, and will go to see the FAA MD armed with a glowing report from my physician, plus good results from a stress-test. Not trusting anything to chance, I had all of my medical records mailed to ME (not the FAA MD). Upon reviewing them, I found that the MD who had overseen the stress-test had entered my medical cardiac history as hypertension (correct), shortness of beath (NO NO NO!!!) and chest pain (NO NO NO!!!!). Where the heck did these last two come from ????? I am now in discussion with the medical records office at the local hospital, the MD that oversaw the stress-test, and my physician to try to get this out of my record. Thousands of medical$$$ for this??? ARRGGGHHHH!!!

Don't hold your breath.

Going for a bp test? Don't hold your breath. Literally. In fact, practice slow DEEP breathing exercises for several minutes before the test.

Yesterday (and I mean yesterday), when I arrived at the AME I tested 138 over 82. He told me to relax for a bit. Instead, I did some slow deep breathing and 5 minutes later I tested 122 over 80.

Ahhhhhh, that new medical sure looks good to an old ---- like me.

And for those who think they can legally go to sport and still have med problems which would disqualify class three, think again. Check the AOPA site for this. You're supposed to self ground.

Of course, no one cares till you have an accident and then watch the ins company go thru your life history looking for any excuse NOT to pay off.

Barry

If you're an AOPA member, download the "Hypertension Evaluation Sheet" from their website. Have your regular doctor fill this out about a week or so prior to your FAA medical appt.

When you arrive at the AME armed with this, it's a very quick process. The AME can certify you right there with that sheet filled out. It shows the AME that you've done your homework and are trying to make his/her life easier. They really like that.

Good Luck!:D

What about eye injuries?

I know that this is slightly OT (and nobody here is an AME), but is there any info about getting a third-class medical while legally blind in one eye? I have an unrestricted driver's license and am going to pursue Sport Pilot (primarily due to cost), but would really love to step up to something sportier as funds and time allows. I have heard that I would just need to demonstrate ability to an AME, but should I worry?

Anthony