Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Anybody have a suggestion for a good, cheap "stand" for supporting the tail (-A model) while I crawl back in there to run some wires/static lines/etc.? I'm thinking of something like a jack stand with a threaded rod to go into the tiedown? Wonder if HF or HD or someplace might have something tall enough I could use or modify...

I have nightmares of being in the tail section and the plane tipping up and having the tail crash down! :)

Yeah, yeah...I know...not a problem for a tail-dragger LOL! But then all the blood rushes to your head! :)

TIA!

Steve-a-reno

tail support

This is what I use. but I make darn sure the main tires are well chocked.
("Don't try this at home" disclaimer...I am a trained professional...)
It's a 4x4 post that the tie down ring rests on and a fuselage cradle.
Put a large platform on the bottom of the 4x4 post t make sure it stays put.

s6pvo1.jpg

Would it not be easier to "support the nose" and put the tail on / close to the ground?

Not with the engine on, I don't think...that worked just fine when there was no 300+ pounds up front (and the whole thing was basically in TW configuration :) ), but that sounds hazardous at this point...

I'd still offer it as a suggestion since:
  1. It is easier to support, and secure, a "nosewheel" than the tail area...
  2. If you have it "stablised" without you in the tail, it sets more stable as you get in there.
  3. If the worst happens, and the support fails, if the tail support fails, you and the aircraft are at risk. If the nose support fails, I doubt either you or the aircraft would be harmed.
  4. As you rotate the aircraft back, it gets more and more balanced - most NW types can have the nose lifted by moderate pressure on the HS.

I just use a $10 sawhorse from Bunnings Hardware with a bit of foam rubber strapped around it. Put it under a bulkhead to avoid stressing the skin.

Two sawhorses set parallel to the fuselage and a 2x12 under the tail at the rear two bulkheads with a big piece of foam on it to spread the weight. Add pieces of 2x12 or whatever to make it the proper height. If you're really picky, cut the foam in a wedge shape so it supports the bulkheads equally.

I did the same thing to support the firewall before it was on the legs.

greg

Anybody have a suggestion for a good, cheap "stand" for supporting the tail (-A model) while I crawl back in there to run some wires/static lines/etc....
I have several of these folding type sawhorses. What I like about the design is you can incrementally adjust individual leg height for maximum utility and when you are done using the sawhorse, the heavy gauge steel unit folds up for compact storage.

r7j8f7.jpg

I have several of these folding type sawhorses. What I like about the design is you can incrementally adjust individual leg height for maximum utility and when you are done using the sawhorse, the heavy gauge steel unit folds up for compact storage.

Nice adjustable sawhorses, Rick. (new tools! shiny!)

Yours look like they may be these Crawford ones:

- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009WG5ZI

which are about $35 shipped from Amazon or about $30 at my local HomeDepot.

--
Stephen

Aw, go ahead and spend some money at Harbor Freight. They need it. ;)

image_11255.jpg

Cut legs to length using HF power hacksaw (angled cut) & jack screw allows leveling (fitted to tail tie down).

That's the ones, Stephen. I read the 9 customer reviews at Amazon. Unlike ratings given by four of the reviewers, I'd assign the sawhorse design a 4 or 5 star rating. The sawhorse is heavy and well built. Used as intended, I found the design to be firm, solid and steady even at the highest leg extensions.

Plywood

With my Cherokee I used to have a long tapered piece of plywood that I would put inside the tail so I had something to lay on top of any not worry about denting the skin so much. Might consider something like that too.

The sawhorse approach worked well for me while I was building but I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy, so I put a web strap around the tail just ahead of the HS and attached it to an engine hoist and raised the hoist just enough to take some pressure off the sawhorse. I figured that if both failed it would be a sign from the gods.

With my Cherokee I used to have a long tapered piece of plywood that I would put inside the tail so I had something to lay on top of any not worry about denting the skin so much. Might consider something like that too.

Got those...several pieces to work around the various structures, etc.

I used a bean bag. Cut it open and removed 1/2 of the beans and placed in a king size pillow case. The two fit in the tail and molded over the bulkheads and spread out the weight enough to not damage the skin.

Also, easy to lay on.

simple thought

I used a wooden chair with a couple of pillows on it. Really stable and really soft. I spent a lot of time back there. I also put a little plywood and a full length lounge cushion inside so it is a little more comfortable. It worked fine, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
Good luck

Peanuts

A trash bag of packing peanuts (like the bean bag) either inside to lay on or outside on a low table to distribute weight. Cheap and easy.