Davepar

Well Known Member
My AF-3400 EFIS and EMS screens arrived today from Advanced Flight Systems. In just a few hours I got them installed and hooked up. They're working perfectly!

The EFIS is on the left and EMS on the right. A crossover ethernet cable provides communications between the two units. I don't have the remote magnetometer hooked up yet, so that's why the compass indicator is red (if you can tell).

I'm having a little trouble getting the camera to accurately portray the brightness without washing out the screens. This will have to do for now...

IMG_2326.jpg

I'll hopefully be able to provide flying impressions in a few more weeks.

Dave

Superb!

I like it. I like it a lot. I'm after exactly that in my RV-8 (panel space permitting...)
Thanks for the pic.

Looks Good

Davepar said:
I'll hopefully be able to provide flying impressions in a few more weeks.
Dave, thanks for the pic. Looks nice!

Please do keep us informed, and good luck with it!

Nice panel Dave. I know you've been waiting on those for a while! Hope to see you in the air soon!

Scott

I debated a while on the 3400 vs. 3500. Since the screens are just a few feet from your eyes, I figured the smaller one would be fine. The two units are identical except for the screen. I'm happy I went with the 3400. It's plenty big without taking up too much panel real estate.

I've been toying with the screens a bit (when I should be finishing the darn plane). I am quite impressed with them, and that's saying something. Since I'm a software engineer, I'm usually fairly critical of other people's software. But Rob & Co have done a nice job with these units.

For example, I was messing around with the weight & balance screen. You use the Prev/Next buttons to switch between the various stations on the aircraft, passengers, baggage, fuel, etc. Then turn the dial to adjust the quantity for a station. On the fuel station, the quantity is in gallons so the weight automatically multiplies by 6. And this is the best part: there are two vertical lines on the screen that indicate the max fwd and max aft CG points of the plane. As you change the weight values, the current CG line moves fwd/aft on the plane so you can visualize where the CG is at. Very cool.

I've also been interested in the screen layout / human interface design of the AFS units. They seem to have done an excellent job.

My concern about 3400 vs 3500 would be when the screen gets crowded if you're using it as an HSI. It looks like lots of information is presented, and larger is most often better when it comes to HMI (human-machine interface) issues.

Saweet!

Dave, that looks great!!!

I agree with you guys. IMHO, Rob's stuff is the most visualy appealing well organized stuff available.