Rabidsnipe

Well I passed my Oral Exam and Practical Check ride this afternoon! What a feeling. I've been looking forward to this day for years! I'm now a certificated private pilot!! Woo hoo!

Anyways the winds were a little bit more than I would have liked for the ride but not anything I hadn't flown before. Really that ended up being the only thing he really commented on; cross wind landings. That and maybe the "soft field" wasn't quite as "soft" as he would've liked. Oh well; more to work on (like it never ends). Navigation, diversion, stalls, steep turns, ground reference, etc. Everything else was just peachy. So now what do I do? Get a complex rating? A tailwheel? Instrument? Whatever it is I do, I know I'll learn something and probably have a lot of fun.

Thanks Ken Coplan, Bryan Rudd, Glenn Crabtree, TJ Timmons, and my wonderful wife Jennifer for making this possible.

-Chase

PS - If I'm having this much fun having worked on this thing since January, I can't imagine the rush of emotions after flying a plane for the first time after working on it for years.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!

Now that's one of those "life's memorable moments" moments! Way to go!
Now, what's the plan 7, 8 or 12?
ps: I'm sure you'll be changing your bio here at VAF from student to ppl:)

Last edited:
Congrats! That is indeed one of the little moments in life that you will never forget. I'll never forget the smile on my DE's face when he added up my flight hours before I took my checkride and came up with 40.3 - and it was a 0.6 flight from home base to the DE's airport for the checkride...

Way to go!!!

Congrats. This is a huge accomplishment and you should be proud. As Mike said, "now the learning begins."

Don't stop though. Take a couple of weeks off and start in on that Instrument ticket. The longer you wait the less likely you will continue.

Again, way to go. Enjoy and fly safe.

Congrats on a well done job, Chase!

Don't know which is more momentous, getting that ticket or building and flying your own airplane.

Now that's one of those "life's memorable moments" moments! Way to go!
Now, what's the plan 7, 8 or 12?
ps: I'm sure you'll be changing your bio here at VAF from student to ppl:)

One thing at a time. I'm still working on that (permission that is).

But...... if I had to take my pick of those three, I'd say 7.

Congratulations, Chase. One of the big accomplishments in life is now under your belt. Way to go!!!!!

b,
d

Congrats!

Congrats on what I hope to be a long and safe journey for you in the world of aviation..............

Congratulations fer sure!!

So now what do I do? Get a complex rating? A tailwheel? Instrument? Whatever it is I do, I know I'll learn something and probably have a lot of fun.

-Chase

It's a day you'll never forget!!:)

I'd suggest that you enroll in an aerobatics course/tailwheel checkout combo. That'll really improve your flying skills and confidence.

Regards,

It's a day you'll never forget!!:)

I'd suggest that you enroll in an aerobatics course/tailwheel checkout combo. That'll really improve your flying skills and confidence.

Regards,

I've been researching acro options in Oklahoma City; there aren't many. There is a Cessna 140 at Crabtree (where I've gotten all my training) that's available for the tailwheel time. But I must say the complex Arrow is a little more appealing at the moment. So many options.

Thanks again for all the congrats.

Fly Often and Stay Current

I agree that working toward the instrument rating is highly recommended. It will bring your flying skills to a new level. At the very least you should fly as often as possible to stay sharp. Request to land on the runway with a cross wind when practical. Fly with another pilot so you can fly "under the hood". While under the hood practice 180 degree turns, climbs and descents. I promise that one day you WILL be in a situation where you will be glad you had kept practicing how to get out of trouble.

A few more things as I think out loud: never rush through a pre-flight, always use your checklist, always sump your fuel tanks after a re-fuel and make certain you don't have a tank full of Jet-A, double check your fuel caps after someone else refuels your aircraft, always do a walk around inspection after the "one hundred dollar hamburger" because funny things happen when you are not around.

Another recommendation is to read a monthly on-line newsletter written by CFI Bob Miller, www.overtheairwaves.com. He shares some excellent info.

Most important is respect the privilege and HAVE FUN!!

Congratulations!! Man, I am envious. I am about 3 solo hours from completing all my requirements (including my long solo!!). How tough was the test? Did your examiner ask a lot of tough questions? Anything you didn't know?

Enjoy that freedom!!!

Andy

Congrats!

I would agree with Pierre, get into an upset recovery/acro course asap. I would do that before an instrument ticket. That course will litetally put your world upside down and show the consequences of uncoordinated slow flight and how to recover from it. Spinning a plane is quite the eye-opener the first time you do it. By the end of the course you're actually coming out of spins on-course (more or less) and with a whole new appreciation of the airplane's envelope.

Congratulations!! Man, I am envious. I am about 3 solo hours from completing all my requirements (including my long solo!!). How tough was the test? Did your examiner ask a lot of tough questions? Anything you didn't know?

Enjoy that freedom!!!

Andy

The oral was fairly laid back. The examiner seemed like he wanted more practical than perfection. He was concerned that I was legal but more importantly that I was safe. As such, the oral exam was a little preachy (no private strips, no single engine at night, no homebuilts :rolleyes:).

Congrats!

I would agree with Pierre, get into an upset recovery/acro course asap. I would do that before an instrument ticket.

You're not the first to suggest ACRO/Unusual Attitudes before instrument.

Congratulations Chase! I received my ppl from Crabtree Aviation back in 1984. Seems like yesterday. :)

Now all you need is an RV in the garage to work on.

Jerry Calvert
N296JC
RV6
Edmond Ok