Jetj01

Well Known Member
Heart Attack/Ambulance Ride to Special Issuance Medical-111 days!!!!!!!

It is a GREAT, GREAT, GREAT day!

Many of you were very gracious back on 30 Dec 2009 when I found myself riding to the hospital in an ambulance having suffered a 'heart block' then having a permanent heart pacemaker implanted the next day, New Years eve. As I was driven to the ER I was very concerned that I may never get to fly again, or worse, not leave the hospital upright!

Today I received my FAA First Class Medical in the mail!!! As you can imagine, I am thrilled. It is just a little over three and a half months since my heart event and the process is complete! First, I'd like to thank and HIGHLY RECOMMEND Dr. Stephen M. Kramer, D.O. who keeps his practice in Frisco, TX. I had been recommended him by another pilot who knew he specialized in Special Issuance medical certificates and that he had inside info on the process with the FAA. Long story short, after my first visit and the ensuing two month waiting period, Dr. Kramer knew exactly what I needed to do and provided me with the list of hoops to jump thru, and once completed, he sent the paper work in, made some phone calls and now, less than four months from the ambulance ride, I have my Class 1 medical back! He is a pilot too and WANTS us to stay flying. He encouraged me to apply for the Class 1 Medical so that the FAA has it on file and those requirments have been met. I can now apply for a lesser medical if I like, but can return to a Class 1 if employment needs make it a requirement.

The paper work and tests (echo cardiogram, stress tests, EKGs, blood work, pacemaker tests, Holt monitor, normal FAA Class 1 medical, etc) needed were quite daunting and I must admit I am probably in the best shape I've been in in years what with the treadmill running, working out and watching my diet but I hear it is quite unusual to get the medical back after just one attempt, so again, kudo's to Dr. Kramer. If you are having medical problems, call him!

And kudo's to the FAA. I had heard rumors that the FAA was in the 'NO!' mood when it came to Special Issuance medicals that were heart related. But I am here to attest that not only were they speedy, but my follow up requirements in the coming years are minor and I was never 'denied' a medical.

As you can imagine, I am THRILLED and would like to take the time to thank my frends here in the VAF site for their well wishs and especialy their prayers. I will wear my VAF hat with pride this weekend!

When is the next air race???? :D

Last edited:
It is a GREAT, GREAT, GREAT day!

It is just a little over three and a half months since my heart event and the process is complete!

That is great news.

How did you get around the mandatory 6 month waiting period? I had stents put in 2.5 years ago and had to wait 6 months before even applying. It also took mine another 5 months after submitting paperwork to getting the special issuance. I was down for 11 months.

Having a good doctor is a must. Mine are not aviation people but still excellent in doing the paperwork. My big issue must be the "who you know" as every year so far my special issuance expires as the FAA can not turn around the paperwork in the 30 days from when they want me to get the stuff in to them until the day mine expire.

I think the waiting period depends on what the condition is. I also had stents and there was no way around the 6 months....

I got a five year waiver with my special issuance medical that allows my ME to renew my one year medical as long as I do what is required on the waiver. This prevents downtime if the FAA is slow....if you don't have one of these, you might be able to get one.....

Thanks everyone! Waiting period...

Thanks everyone! And Chuck, as far as 'means everything' I can attest that having a medical near death experience does re-focus what is important in my life...flying is high on the list but I find that there are several other areas that are equaL and even more important. But I do LOVE flying!

As far as waiting period, I'm not sure how the calculation works. In my case the FAA said two months and so I had all my tests started the day after two months and the paperwork sent in by the following Friday, or five days. Some tests involved more than 24 hours such as the Holt monitor. During the waiting period I really worked out and made sure I was ready for the tests.

I will say this, the key is the AME you use to do the paperwork. Dr. Kramer is a Senior AME who the FAA uses occasionally on their panels that determine Special Issuances. usually 7 doctors at a time on the panel. So he knew the process and knew the primary players involved. He knew what was needed and how to package it. In fact my cardiologist had provided me some copies of my heart charts and Dr. Kramer made me go back and get better copies knowing the FAA panel would have rejected the original ones. The package was thick but organized the way he knew it was supposed to look. He is the one that actually sent it in to the FAA then made follow up calls to push the process. Again, I think he is fanatastic and would recommend him!

I think a big part of the FAA process is your health NOW. Do you have ongoing damage? Are you taking medication? Do you have a family history? I am lucky because I have been symptom free now since the day it happened with no side effects, no permanent damage and take no meds. However, I do have an electronic device that will be with me for the duration and that is an FAA issue.

Good luck to all of you on this road. I was worried about it and when the letter came yesterday, the emotions felt were strong!

congrats JJ

Good luck to all of you on this road. I was worried about it and when the letter came yesterday, the emotions felt were strong!

Having been on the receiving end of opening that FAA envelope several times, I know what you mean!

Congratulations, and may you enjoy many more years of good health and happy flying.

Congratulations! That is great news. I got a letter from the FAA last month (prosthetic heart valve last year) and was excited when I opened it. But ... they wanted more information! So I mailed them more info (of the four items, two were in the previous package, but I re-sent them anyway). Now I'm waiting.

I, like you, feel that with all the treadmill and other workouts, plus changing my diet, I am now in the best physical condition I've been in in several years. I'm very happy with the new AME I went to. Even though he doesn't sit on the FAA board, he's in constant touch with the Regional Air Surgeon in Atlanta. I had a question about my medical and he got an answer within 10 minutes by phone.

Again, congratulations. You must feel very good.

Get back on your Yak !

JJ,

That is wonderful! I have been following your posts and have been pulling for you. You need to come over to GPM and see my 6A progress now that you are flying again! I'm nearly done with fire wall forward stuff... and need a CFI. :)

Talk to you later.

FAA

JET J writes And kudo's to the FAA. I had heard rumors that the FAA was in the 'NO!' mood ...

My experience and opinion is quite similar. I got a special issuance med due to sleep apnea, and I found the FAA to thorough, but quite fair.

Congrats on getting back into the blue!

Wait time for sleep apnea?

"I got a special issuance med due to sleep apnea"

Hi Tom,

Just yesterday a USAF friend of mine told me he just got diagnosed with sleep apnea. We were discussing the ramifications for flying medical. Is there a waiting period for that too? How longdid it take? Thanks for any info!

To all that have wrote, THANK YOU! I am FLYING from Dallas to the ranch in Kansas in my RV-4 today SOLO and LEGAL! Hope to do some crop spraying in the Cessna Husky. Even though I've got a headwind all the way (Standard!), today, I'm cool with that!

Tailwinds!