RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

I'm thinking on replacing my GoPro Hero 2 ( With the WI-FI Package ) for a Garmin Virb Elite but when looking at the Garmin Virb accessories I noticed that the vid?o / headset cable I've got for my GoPro won't work with the Virb.

Am I right on this ??

Also if there anyone here who has done the switch from GoPro to the Virb, I would like to know if it was worth it and if you will do it again..

I like the camera but don't wanna have to spend mega $$ just to have the latest toy...

Thank you for your imputs..

Bruno
[email protected]

I've got both of those cameras, but don't spend enough time with them to give you a meaningful comparison. Avweb did a comparison video on them a few weeks ago though - you can find it here:

http://www.avweb.com/videos/Video-GoPro-vs-Garmin-Flight-Trial222731-1.html

For what I do, they both do the job - I personally find the user interface on the VIRB far friendlier for my brain. The audio cable on the VIRB plugs into the USB port on the camera - haven't tried to attach audio to the Hero, so don't know how that works. I can tell you that with the VIRB, you have to have the camera powered up when you attach the audio cable, or the camera won't recognize it - and you'll just get ambient sound throughout the flight (at least with the software I have).

VIRB VS GoPro

Hi Paul

Thank you for the reply.

I just looked at the new GoPro Hero 4 and it has the same audio/headset connection as the Virb so in my case requiring a new cable so there goes more $$...not much but annoying in that everytime they come up with a new design we have to replace everything...:rolleyes:

I've looked at a vid?o where they test both camera side x side and the GoPro contrast sems to be little better...

So the question is: Do I need a new toy...My wife hates these decisions..:D

Thanks again

Bruno

Have you looked at the latest Sony? After much research and comparison, I went with the Sony HDR-AS100V and am quite happy with it. It's billed as the "GoPro killer" and seems to end up slightly better in picture quality in most of the camera shoot outs. Both the Sony and GoPro handily beat the Garmin in nearly every category, however.

The Sony has a much smaller form factor than the GoPro or Garmin as well. It's a bit smaller than a pack of cigarettes (about 66% scale), so that makes it easier to mount on the outside of the aircraft. Lately, I have it velcroed to the ear cup on my headset and it does great.

Just another option to consider.

I have a GoPro 4 Black and I can't say I'm really impressed by it. The battery life in the camera and the remote seems to be lacking.

I also have two of these Reply XD's that I do like.
Camera%2Brig%2Bwith%2Btext.jpg

These are some of their older cameras and there is no remote but they seem to work great!

Last edited:
GoPro vs Virb

Thanks a lot for all the feedbacks Gents, I will check them out..

As for the GoPro 4 that is what I have been told regarding the Battery life..

Cheers

Bruno

Hello,

i am looking for the HDR-AS100V, too.

What can i do, to record the ATC?
Which equipment is necessary?

My headset is a David Clark H20-10.

Hope for any answer and experience.

Bye
Chris

Hello,

i am looking for the HDR-AS100V, too.

What can i do, to record the ATC?
Which equipment is necessary?

My headset is a David Clark H20-10.

Hope for any answer and experience.

Bye
Chris

I haven't done it yet, but I think a simple adapter into the headset jack will work fine.