RWoodard

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I've got an iFly 700 GPS and a GoPro Hero2 video camera. For various reasons, I thought it would be nice to be able to be able to see in real time what the GoPro camera was seeing. I noticed that the iFly 700 unit has an AV-input jack and the GoPro has a composite video output jack and thought I'd try connecting the two. It worked!!

In case anyone would like to do the same thing, I've prepared a brief instruction sheet in PDF format for downloading. In the meantime, here are a few pictures:

I decided to make a 'dongle' cable so that as I move the camera around, I'll just fabricate a simple RCA patch cord.

videocables.jpg

Here's a close-up of the 2.5mm plug and the 3.5mm plug. Please note that these are not normal stereo plugs you'll find at Radio Shack. These have 3 black rings (4 conductors) instead of the 2 black rings as found on stereo plugs.

Video%20Plugs.jpg

Specific Mouser part numbers can be found in my 1-page instruction page.

Instructions

Here's a basic shot of my installation. The primary video cable is run out the left wing to a mounting point under the wing. Incidentally, I also ran what would have been the #2 headphone output from my intercom out to GoPro so I can get the radio chatter on the recording instead of the wind noise from the camera.

videoinstallation.jpg