flickroll

Well Known Member
What type of mount is being used with this camera? I am considering one for my RV-8 but don't see a good mounting option for the -8. Thanks

What type of mount is being used with this camera? I am considering one for my RV-8 but don't see a good mounting option for the -8. Thanks

I have one on the way. I'll let you know what I find.

The places I'm going to try:
  • Mounting to the wingtip with a couple of the screws
  • Mounting to the VS with a rivnut
  • Mounting to the RV7 slider rollbar
  • Mounted behind the pilot with a Gorilla Grip

Suction Cup Mount

I use the suction cup mount attached to the inside of the canopy and it has been working great.

Any thoughts if that suction cup will eventually cause plexi cracking? I was looking at the same thing for a ContourHD.

Any thoughts if that suction cup will eventually cause plexi cracking? I was looking at the same thing for a ContourHD.

No troubles so far and it's been attached for about 50hrs of flying with no rings or scratches. What I really like about the suction cup mount is the ability to move it to different places with ease.

I never could get any of the GoPro mounting devices to provide a good mounting solution. So here's what I bought from Amazon:

GoPro Tripod Mount for HERO Cameras

RAM Mounting Systems RAP-B-166-2U Composite Suction Cup Mount

RAM Mounting Systems RAM-B-202AU 1" Rubber Ball Base with 1/4"-20 Stud For Camera

This gives me all kinds of different angles to play with when I mount the camera to provide the view I desire. I have not yet tried it in flight but it seems sturdy on the ground.

i'm using the suction cup mount to the inside canopy so far.
however, IMHO due to the relatively long distance from the base and through 2 joints, the vibration of the canopy transfers to the cam quite a bit...
whether that affects the video quality very much is not so clear yet.
will try alternate methods and will also try to get dynamic balancing done once in a while.

rgds, bernie

p.s. already at 11 successful flight hours :)

i'm using the suction cup mount to the inside canopy so far.
however, IMHO due to the relatively long distance from the base and through 2 joints, the vibration of the canopy transfers to the cam quite a bit...

I'm going to try my Ram mount contraption on the inside of the windscreen which I hope won't transmit as much vibration as the sliding canopy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

How about outside ?

I assume that only inside mounting solutions have been discussed so far ? How about vantage points on the exterior ? I wouldn't trust just the tape mounts or the suction cup . I was going to make an aluminum mount for mine .

Marc

I assume that only inside mounting solutions have been discussed so far ? How about vantage points on the exterior ? I wouldn't trust just the tape mounts or the suction cup . I was going to make an aluminum mount for mine .

I'm going to take one of their flat tape mounts and drill and CS for a #6 CS screw and tinnerman washer. This should allow me to screw the mount into one of the screws on the wingtip...