prkaye

Well Known Member
Anybody have any ideas for how one could fabricate a "gooseneck" type extension arm for Stein's LED map light? Right now I have the maplight screwed into the base that Stein provides, but it would be really nice if I could extend this with a gooseneck for easier pointing.

Loc-Line

Hi Phil,

Looks like the -9A is coming along great!

I have used a product call Loc-line with great success.

IMG_7764.jpg

I just use JB-weld to make the attachments. Loc-line is flexible, yet stays where you put it.

Last edited:
mmm... street GPS for flying?

an OT question.
what do you call the black "wrinkled" finish on the panel?
who can make that finish?

Phil,

You'd probably need a gooseneck or flex-neck piece that is hollow, to allow running the wires to the light internally (in the neck). Was thinking about it, and maybe you could rob the neck from a cheapo flex-neck reading light, like this one:

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toy...=F&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=22-26873928-2

Or perhaps one from a garage sale.

Remove the neck, pull out the wires, cut to desired length, and feed the wires from Stein's light though. Then it'd be a matter of connecting the light on one end, and the base on the other...maybe with Pete's JB weld technique, or by fabbing a fitting. Maybe a fun project.

I have two of Stein's lights mounted to the fwd part of the inside of my canopy rail, and like them. Now you've got me thinkin' of tinkering again! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Loc-Line is Hollow

Bob,

the Loc-Line is hollow and can be built up in any length. I ordered one of their demo kits and have made a few projects out of it. Pretty cool stuff, lightweight, and comes in colors, too.

Cool Pete...didn't know that. Looked at the site, and that looks even better than the flex-neck idea (probably easier to work with and to bond to). Excellent, thanks!!

Cheers,
Bob

Attaching loc-line to panel?

Pete, How did you attach the loc-line to your panel? I see you used JB weld on the GPS end, but not obvious to me how you did the panel end.

Also, did you find that the little loc-line pliers is necessary for building up a line, or is it easy enough to do by hand?

--Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul

I embedded a #8 screw in the open end of the loc line with JB Weld and then just screwed it into one of the panel mounting holes. Clean and easy - it is holding just fine after about 100 hrs.

Loc%20Line%20001.jpg

Loc%20Line%20002.jpg

Note with this setup you can't run wires thru the middle, but they do have open ended that could be used with wires.

I was able to work the loc line by hand. It is not real easy, but it can be done.

Last edited:
Cool ideas guys. I didn't really think through the hollowness requirement... good point. JB-Weld... never used that stuff, looks like it's got some strength.
I prefer the look of a gooseneck like that one from B&C to the Lock-line, so I'll shop around for a cheap reading light. Don't really want to blow 85 bucks on the BnC one since I already have Stein's LED maplight.