Baja_Traveler

Well Known Member
This past week I've been completely entranced with Google Earth looking at high-def satellite images of runways around the world. For the past couple of days I've been trying to find RV's parked out in the open, and think I might have found a few - including some sitting outside of Vans factory. I've also found nearly all the Beech Starships sitting in mothballs north of Tuscon.
Anybody else playing around with this new program?

I found this on another forum. It doesn't involve an RV, thank goodness I suppose.

Some unfortunate cargo pilot going a little long on JFK:

Don't have the coordinates at hand, but New York and JFK aren't hard to find, you can see which runway in the pic.

Pics of the incident:
http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/Safety_Issues/RiskManagement/softgroundarrest.html

NTSB report:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20030612X00863&key=1

The white blob in the pic that looks like something has broken is just an image artefact I think.

Its cool

Baja_Traveler said:
This past week I've been completely entranced with Google Earth looking at high-def satellite images of runways around the world. [snip]Anybody else playing around with this new program?
Yes it is cool and easy to use. I looked up landmarks (Disney Land, Mount Rushmore, my house and airports). Cool. I could see using it to look at the lay of the land for an area you plan on flying, which you never have been before. Other wise it is not super useful, and is not much more than a gee-whiz, but it is cool. I found it easy to navigate and the images are fairly updated, compared to other satellite image programs on the internet. G

Google Earth

Living in Australia, and never having been to the US, the first place I went to was Vans,...I started by finding the Airport ,..after looking around a bit,..I found the -10 and -9 sitting outside,..so now I can say I have been to Van's :D , but after some more messing around I found out that Van's is actually loaded into the searchengine,...and will take you strait there,.. it is a cool program,...google moon is also a bit of fun,...(very cheesy :D ),....

JJ :cool:

Slightly faster than you average RV...

sr71s.jpg

Shot from over Edwards AFB.

Not RV-related at all but... Take a look at Libya some time. There are only a few actual hi-rez shots of Libya and most of them show what looks like battle damage. I'm not an oil worker so maybe oil wells normally look like that. Any roughnecks out there that have taken a look at Libya with GE? It's interesting.

Use Google earth to view Cold Lake air force base in Alberta Canada, there is an air show going on, the thunderbirds and the snowbirds can be seen on one ramp.

Joe Hine

Nevada

You mean that blank hole in the map. If you cut across from St. George to Wilson Creek VOR at 10k feet or above, you'll see buildings and an airstrip in the distance.Try Tonopah Test Range, Occasionally you'll see an interesting aircraft there too.
Roger Robertson,
Reno Native
N2800X