LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
General opinion for you "crusty" guys who have spent time being current and non-current, proficient and lost proficiency, etc.

I am a helicopter pilot, 1000's of hours in whirly birds, only a few hundred in FW scattered over 20 years. I am also in the Navy so I know that I cannot start building for at least a year. I have some $ in a separate account saved to start a build. I have the chance to get in on a partnership where the hourly flying cost will be fairly low. Question is: What would "serve me best", spending $100/hour on a cherokee six gaining flying proficiency and having fun flying, or saving that $100/hour towards a build? I fly for work, so I can mostly get my flying "fix" through work.

Unless there are any RV owners that would take my money in the Jacksonville area:rolleyes:

I would save the money and just budget for a good amount of training in a RV towards the end of your build.

With the exception of an hour of transition training my wife gave me for my birthday and a wonderful ride provided by another VAF member, I haven't flown for quite a while. I'm planning to spend a good chunk of change right before I finish the plane for 10+ hours (however much it takes) of flight training (hopefully all in an RV).

Save the money for the build. With your egg beater experience and a few hundred on fixed wings, I wouldn't bother with fixed wing flying until you have your plane built. You never know how long the build is going to take. It's better to have 10 hours of flying in a few weeks than 100 over the years.

With your experience in the fling wing world, just flip categories and ask yourself the same scenario. I'm sure you would think the same of a high time fixed wing guy building a helicopter....that's a scary thought on it's own mind you! :D

I might do it if they paid ME 100/hr to fly the C6. Kind of a waste of good fuel and a good engine. Just kidding....sorta.

Another vote for building the plane, then get some specific transition training for the model.

Your time in a Cherokee six will not be overly relavent to how a RV flys.

Kinda like asking if you should keep on driving your 18 wheeler, to make you proficiant when you get done building a Lotus 7.

Build it, then fly..

I like Mike's comment above about the Lotus vs. big rig! :) My vote is to build also. I've several moments of anxiety, since I haven't flown hardly at all in the last few years. I keep going back and forth between whether it's better to build slower and rent/fly to stay sharp, or budget some training and transition into the end of my build and keep building quickly. I've chosen to keep building and "wait" to fly. In your situation, you can "get your fix" through work and devote your time and money to the build. If I was in your shoes, it would be even easier for me to do what I am doing. Even, so I think it's the best way to go.

Nice comments

So far, pretty much the same comments I was expecting. The hard part of this is that the way the LLC is designed, I am "guaranteed" to get the same money out of it whenever I want to sell (other partners "have to" buy you out or you get the plane!).

Great Idea!!!!!!!

....I think the absolute most logical thing you could do is go to <AntiSplatAero.com> and order at least one of everything. This will provide you with high quality tools and modification parts for the RV that you will need to build so you can use these items. High quality items looking at you every day, what more incentive could a guy ask for? Glad I could help with this decision making process. Thanks, we will keep an eye out for your order. Best, Allan--:rolleyes:

While I like the Cherokee 6, Lance, and others in the line, the experience doesn?t translate well to an RV, any RV.

Save your money and put it towards the build.

Then when you get within a year of completing your plane, find a local TW instructor and take an hour or two with him/her every month. They will bring you up to speed on the TW thing and if you get the right aircraft, you can get some acro time as well.

I would also hook up with your local EAA chapter and RV gang. Between the two, you will get some rides. Just remember to log every minute you fly the RV. Your insurance company will want to see some RV time in your log book before your first flight. Besides, those lunch rides are very motivational.