Jim Lewellyn

Well Known Member
I am in the procees of a panel upgrade and need to purchase some aluminum sheet. I need a 2' x 4' sheet of 2024T3 - .19 thickness. Any suggestions on a good place to purchase?

ACS can ship 2 by 4 feet pieces of aluminum at a fairly reasonable rate. Larger pieces shipping costs can get pretty expensive.

03-28850 2024T3 ALUM SHEET .190 X 2X4 $231.95

Last edited:
Does it HAVE to be 2024? For panel inserts you could use 6061-T6, which might be easier to find locally. Either way, check your local metal supply house (or local stamping/fabricating/etc. shop). They will usually whack you off a chunk or two (spare).
For my panel re-do, I used the old panel to make the subframe and used 6061 inserts.

03-28850 2024T3 ALUM SHEET .190 X 2X4 $231.95

Wow! I didn't realize sheet was that high...

About a year ago I bought a 4'x12' roll of .040 2024T3 Alclad from another builder in Dallas for $300. I knew I got a decent price on it at the time, just didn't realize HOW decent...

Wow! I didn't realize sheet was that high...

About a year ago I bought a 4'x12' roll of .040 2024T3 Alclad from another builder in Dallas for $300. I knew I got a decent price on it at the time, just didn't realize HOW decent...

Unless the OP had a typo, this is thick stuff he wants, .19" is pretty much equivalent to 3/16th.

That is a bunch of beer cans.

Actually if you consider the amount (weight) of aluminum purchased, the $231.95 price for a .19 thick 2 by 4 sheet is about the same (within 4%) as $300.00 for a .04 thick 4 by 12 sheet.

Al. Sheet

Does it HAVE to be 2024? For panel inserts you could use 6061-T6, which might be easier to find locally. Either way, check your local metal supply house (or local stamping/fabricating/etc. shop). They will usually whack you off a chunk or two (spare).
For my panel re-do, I used the old panel to make the subframe and used 6061 inserts.

Thanks Mike and others......... My plan is to use the existing panel and make inserts that will replace the exisiting inserts that presently house the 6-pack and engine instruments. Thanks for the suggestion regarding 6061-T6. I will take a look around locally and see what I can find.

Check your local precision sheet metal fabrication shop (especially one listed as doing defense or aerospace work). They may have a "drop" piece left over from some job they will sell you at a reasonable cost.

I usually buy the stuff in 4x12 sheets when I have a job for a customer but rarely is all the stuff used. I'll see if we have any but I'm pretty sure we don't. A more local company would avoid shipping charges.

6061T6 is about 2/3 the price per pound of 2024T3.

5052H32 is even less per pound and would be OK for a panel blank.

Any sheet metal shop doing aluminum will have some 5052....