gear1

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a suggestion of a good small airport to stop at between Pensacola and Dallas, in the vacinity of the Mississippi river? We'll be flying from Orlando to Dallas, via Crestwood VOR near Pensacola. We'll be running out of fuel and biological capacity by the time we get to the Mississippi. Any report on Natchez? Thanks!

Not sure where Hattiesburg is relation to your route but that is a nice airport with good facilities etc.
Might give that a try if convenient.

Glenn Wilkinson

I enjoyed Vicksburg, lots of history, many hotels and not expensive.

Friendly staff and a cab ride into town, maybe a crew car -

http://airnav.com/airport/KVKS

I don't know how the downtown river area fared in the May floods this year though...:confused:

If you have time check out the USS Cairo ironclad - it was fascinating -

http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/deercreek/733/cairo/cairo.html

Everywhere is well defended with civil war era cannons, even the Hampton Inn...:)

cannon.jpg

Last edited:
Concordia Parish (just across the river from Natchez) is a nice little airport, & there are hotels much closer than for the bigger Natchez airport. There are a couple in Vidalia, on the bluff overlooking the river.

Vicksburg (either one) would be ok, with lots of sightseeing, as others have mentioned.

If you're interested in 'RV Hotel' accommodations & can handle grass (runways), give me a shout. If I'm home when you come through, you'd be welcome to stay with us.

Charlie England
Slobovia Outernational
Jackson MS
[email protected]

If Jennings, LA (3R7) isn't too far west of the River for you, theres a motel (Days Inn, I think?) at the east end of the airport with tiedown spaces.

depends on what you want to do, how big of a hurry

McComb (MCB) Mississippi might be of some interest. We stopped up for a lunch one time and enjoyed the Dinnerbell resturant. Believe they only serve lunch during the week with "open seating". They have a web site. Fine southern cooking, and you eat with a dozen or so other folks at a huge round table with lazy susan. We used the crew car from the airport. also close by is state park with lake, golf course and "hotel",... bit of state park flavor,.. not a 5 star type hotel. In town is a small museum to the railroad, they used to have a major maintenance/modernization facility in town. They have one of the largest steam engines on display.

Further west is Lost River (HZR) Enterprise car rental will come and pick you up during week, and on Sat morning. For local flavor, and just across the river, is St Francisville, a nice tourist town for old south flavor. (used to have to take a ferry ride, believe the new bridge is open now)

Of course you could stop at Pensacola and go to the Naval Aviation Museum, and short hop over to Mobile Downtown,... can get on the old battleship Alabama, and tour the ship including turret and engineroom.

Thanks!

Thanks to all of you who have generously added to my knowledge of great places to stop along the Mississippi. Almost too many choices. Charlie England even offered an RV Motel RON. What a great community!

We will have just attended my Navy Squadron (Attack Squadron 25) reunion in Pensacola. We will be seeing the Naval Avaition Museum, and the year-end Blue Angels show. Then on to Orlando to visit another squadron mate who cannot attend the reunion. We figure that the biological limits of the flight back towards Dallas will get us near the Mississippi before we will have to stop.