gpiney

Well Known Member
Originally, I had planned to do my -8 'Half-Fast'. Slow build wings, QB fuse. A couple of local builders said I would be better off doing QB Wings/SB Fuse. Before the Matched Hole announcement at OSH, I would have had to purchase the QB wings and SB fuse at the same time. Too rich for my blood right now.

So today I called Vans and asked about ordering just the new -8 fuse. I asked if there was anything additional from the Wing kit I would have to order with it. The Answer was NO. I can just place an order for the Fuse kit without having to order the wing kit first.

When the fuse is on gear, I plan on ordering the QB wings. I will probably have the wings shipped straight to the airport and finish them there.

anyone building fuse before wings?

Greg, and any others,
Sounds like a great idea to build fuselage prior to wings. I just ordered slow build wings today and was planning to build QB fuse afterwards. But you bring up a good point: with the new style fuse kit, AND VAN's saying the price will not change through 2006, might be a good idea to change my slow build wing order to a slow fuse, then follow it up with QB wings.

Anyone out there build the fuse prior to the wings? Any advice on that?

Thanks,
Jeff

clam said:
Greg, and any others,
Sounds like a great idea to build fuselage prior to wings. I just ordered slow build wings today and was planning to build QB fuse afterwards. But you bring up a good point: with the new style fuse kit, AND VAN's saying the price will not change through 2006, might be a good idea to change my slow build wing order to a slow fuse, then follow it up with QB wings.

Anyone out there build the fuse prior to the wings? Any advice on that?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff, here is an e-mail query I sent to Van's just several days ago posing that very same question:

Hello Van's,

Assuming I order and receive the RV-8 wing kit and fuselage kit at
the same time, is there any technical reason why I could not
assemble the fuselage before starting the wings?
Thanks,
Rick Galati RV-6A 25834
RV-8 82385

Well, it's easier to store wings, and the fuselage work usually flows
into the finishing kit work without interruption. Other than that,
no.

The big reason that I intend to build the fuse first, then order QB wings is that there are more non/kit options available during the build process. About the only options in the wings are your lighting options. Those can be done with the QB wings almost as easily as if you did the standard kit. With the fuse I can better plan on things like 'autopilot servo mount', 'removable floorboards' etc., etc.