SteinAir

Well Known Member
Good news today from Garmin...

NO price increases on their core products for 2009, with a slight increase on the GI-106A.

Even better, price decreases on 1/2/396's.

Trade in program for "GX" series of GPS'es towards the GNS's.

Cheers,
Stein

Still trying to digest all of it, but basically it's between $1K to $2K worth of trade in value on the GX's towards 430's and 530's depending on which GX you have. I don't know all the spec's yet because I need to study my memo a bit more, but in general that's what it appears to be.

I'm sure it will show up on their site within a day or so.

Cheers,
Stein

OK we will see. $3K for our GX60 I would certainly think about it, $4K I would jump at it. $1K or $2K, not so much.

--Paul

That's the kicker you see....Part of the announcement was that some of the mfgrs of sub-components (not Garmin) have stopped or will stop making some replacement parts, therefore that unit will not be supportable at some point. So, it becomes a gamble then, hold onto a unit that is working fine now and hope it keeps working, or trade it in on a known current generation unit that is and will be supported.

Not my policy or decision, but I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later with the old generation products.

Cheers,
Stein

Yes... I have heard from Garmin AT that they don't have any more replacements for the GX series photoluminescent displays. I had ours replaced back in August and they said it was one of the last they had. They do go bad, but this unit of ours should be good now for a bunch more years.

The real issue IMO is database updates. If Jeppesen or Garmin pull the plug on that, it would be bad. So bad in fact that, being companies that care about their customer support reputation, I doubt they will do that.

On the other had if they want to drain all the GX's from the market so they don't have to support them anymore, they should offer a better deal for them than what this one seems to be.

Just MY two cents,

--Paul

Trade in's

Garmin could take a lesson from Dynon. I recently upgraded autopilots with Dynon and received "Full Credit" for my old AP trade in for a new ADI II AP.
Don't know of anyone in the Aircraft buisness who will even consider such a deal. GOOD WORK DYNON
Dick

Garmin could take a lesson from Dynon. I recently upgraded autopilots with Dynon and received "Full Credit" for my old AP trade in for a new ADI II AP.
Don't know of anyone in the Aircraft buisness who will even consider such a deal. GOOD WORK DYNON
Dick

Do you mean Trutrak?

Found some info on the GX trade-in program on Huron Avionics' site:
http://havionics.com/future_service_on_apollo.htm

FWIW, it applies to "non-repairable units". So, if you have a GX-60 with a bad display, instead of you paying Garmin the flat rate $500 to fix it (which they can't; no replacement displays exist), they will pay you $2000 to trade it for a GNS 430W. Not a bad deal I guess, if you have a bad GX.

--Paul

Last edited:
List price?

Found some info on the GX trade-in program on Huron Avionics' site:
http://havionics.com/future_service_on_apollo.htm

FWIW, it applies to "non-repairable units". So, if you have a GX-60 with a bad display, instead of you paying Garmin the flat rate $500 to fix it (which they can't; no replacement displays exist), they will pay you $2000 to trade it for a GNS 430W. Not a bad deal I guess, if you have a bad GX.

--Paul

According to the link the trade-in amount is relative to "list price". If this means full retail then its not a good deal at all (Van's and others sell for more than $3k under "list").

According to the link the trade-in amount is relative to "list price". If this means full retail then its not a good deal at all (Van's and others sell for more than $3k under "list").
In what I've seen, the $3K premium is for certified installation, including harness. For the GX trade into an experimental, you'd want to see what Stein or Stark or Van's can do for you.

--Paul