Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
The local FSDO has loosened the test flight restrictions for some local northern Calif airports.

For the last couple years, the local FSDO has prohibited any test flying out of Cameron Park, Placerville, Nevada City, Sacramento Exec, Alta Sierra, and possibly a few others.

Experimental aircraft builders will now have the ability to deal with flying out of their home airports as outlined in a memo dated 10-27-10.

Details can be gotten from the Sacramento FSDO,

I will try to post or link to the actual memo, (which I can not do at this time) shortly.

I can email the memo to folks, if needed, just cant figure out how to put it online. If one of you can put a PDF file up on the forum, I will send it to you.

Last edited:
Good news, Mike, though I'm fortunate enough to not have been affected either way. Does that mean you can move back to Cameron Park?

very cool Mike.

one question though....How did common sense prevail in California?

Common sense ?? Well, a couple years ago our EAA chapter pres got involved, had a meet and confer with the FSDO folks, and then at Oshkosh, took it to the powers that be there also.

I am absolutely sure that if EAA was not in the picture, this would never have happened.

We do win one once in a while;)

U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Aviation Administration
Sacramento Flight Standards District Office
1102 Corporate Way, Bldg B
Sacramento, California 95831
Phone (916) 422-0272

October 27, 2010

Dear Experimental Aircraft Enthusiast:

The Sacramento FSDO applauds you for your efforts in producing your own aircraft in an effort to keep general aviation alive while allowing you to do what you love, that is to fly. In an effort to try to better serve you and to promote aviation safety in the experimental aircraft community the Sacramento FSDO is introducing a new procedure for conducting your initial flights in your aircraft. In the past we have been required by authorities at a higher level to restrict some or all of your initial flights out of some airports. This restriction made it necessary in some cases to remove portions of your completed aircraft in order to trailer your aircraft to a more suitable airport for the test flights. This restriction was mandated to provide an extra level of safety for persons and property on the surface. The analysis of potential airports that would be restricted was based upon aerial over flights of the area surrounding or near the airport as well as the evaluation of the departure and arrival corridors. The primary objective was to ensure the safety of the congested areas of housing and businesses on the surface in the event of some type of malfunction requiring an emergency landing or other catastrophic event.

After a thorough review and an evaluation of your comments it has been determined that other methods could be utilized to provide that same level of safety for persons and property on the surface while also reducing the potential for re-assembly errors when aircraft are moved to another airport. Based upon your recommendations we are now removing the restrictions previously put in place at certain airports. However, we will require that you submit your plan for departure and arrival at your home airport to the Sacramento FSDO for evaluation. The plan must be designed to mitigate any undue hazard to persons or property on the surface in the event of an unforeseen malfunction.

The Sacramento FSDO hopes that this change will better meets the needs of the experimental aircraft community while at the same time increases the level of safety for all involved.

Sincerely,

Gregory L. Michael
Manager, Sacramento Flight Standards District Office

Also its worth asking for a larger test area. The local FSDO in Reno has been giving RVs a 100-mile radius test flight area because a number of us have argued that it is 1) important to be able to go over the hill to Sacramento valley to break in the engine at near sea level; and 2) RVs go fast enough that 50 mile radius is insufficient to really test the airplane properly.

cheers,
greg

Good News Mike!

I hope you can do your Phase I out of Cameron Park or is it already to late for that?

I personally wouldn't want to do initial flights out of Placerville or Alta Sierra. Way to much rough terrain for the just in case factor.

Just my two cents worth.

Ted