Yukon

Well Known Member
Building for 4 years, I don't really have much operational knowledge to contribute.........except this! I haven't run my engine in about 16 months,
what with the canopy construction and avionics install in between, but I have some great news to report! I pulled my plugs today, stuck a LED flash light in the bottom sparkplug hole..........and I am happy to report that I have absolutely no cylinder rusting or corrosion like I had prior to the first test run.

For those who don't remember, I bought my engine from Wentworth Aircraft Salvage 2 years ago, off an aircraft that was involved in a hurricane hangar collapse in Florida. 400 hrs TT. Very happy with the engine, but it had some minor surface rusting in the cylinders after I received it. I ran it last March, hoping to lubricate and corrosion-proof it in the process. IT WORKED! Not a spot of rust in the cylinders! Being Nitrided and not chromed, it is very prone to rusting during disuse. Could be the dry AZ weather, or maybe the electric engine heater I installed on the pan, but in any case, should have a well-preserved engine for first flight next year!!!!!

For those of you in Southern climes, you might consider descecant plugs too!

Last edited: