Ron Lee

Well Known Member
Coming back to Colorado from Sante Fe this afternoon I encountered a line of showers (west to east). As I approached I evaluated whether I wanted to go between "obvious" rainfall cells. I decided NO. My estimate of the intensity was light to moderate (different cell intensities visually).

After I cleared them I asked ABQ Center what the intensities were according to their radar. They stated moderate (or was it heavy?) to severe. So I was way off the mark.

Decision

It doesn't say what your final decision ended up being: go thru them or not fly at all.

I was recently presented with some very light rain according our Garmin 396 (light green). It was a small cell and made the mistake to go thru rather than around it (we were inside the SFRA in DC, so going around it would require some (minor) explanation). With the next refresh, the Garmin was showing bright RED! Visibility remained fine, but the rain drops were so large that they actually took some clearcoat of the leading edge. It's easily fixable, but it was a good lesson!

Alexander
N83SE.

I went around all visible rain.

Good choice.

Unless you can see through the rain shower there is no way to determine how intense it is without radar. Worst case scenario, there could be hail in it, in clear air near it, and/or a down draft exceeding the climb capability of the aircraft.

I was flying through the Culumbus, Ohio airspace under overcast skies one day (ceilings were around 3000 with great visibility) and the controller said he was painting an echo at my 12 o'clock and gave me a vector around it. I didn't see anything, but by the time I was abeam of the spot, there was a very solid rainshaft all the way to the ground that would have not been fun to fly through. I agree with flying around the rain when VFR, as it can change quite dramatically in a very short time.

Vic

But it sure is handy....

...and a quick way to wash the airplane if it's not too intense:)

We do it often in the ag airplanes,