rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
We are contemplating flying down to the Reno Air Races in September and landing at Reno/ Tahoe. Any recommendations on where to bunk and refuel the 6A while we are there?

Offer

I am in Carson City, (CXP.) We are approximately 25 miles south of Reno and about a 45 minute drive to the air races. I can check on some hangar rates and maybe even find something for free. What are you doing for a bunk for yourselves? Gas here is $5.19 as of yesterday.

Already booked to stay at the Peppermill in Reno which has a hotel bus to the the airport and we usually take a hotel bus to the races also rather than trying to park a rental car and fight the traffic jams.

Gas is cheap there! We're paying about $7/ US gallon up here.:(

Might consider Carson City though. Thanks.

I've never had a problem going into Reno Int (KRNO), can be a bit pricey. Problem has been getting out if you plan on making a dash to the A/P after the races. Many times a departure reservation is required. Over the years fewer and fewer airplanes have been flying in. YMMV
Tom

Usually pretty smoked by the end of the races on Sunday so no plans to depart right after. I'd like a good sleep before starting out and won't be in any rush to get back.

I think we have a stop planned in Jackpot before the final leg in.

RENO FBO

Jet West on southwest corner, only fbo on west side, all others are on east side. Pepermill is just a few blocks west of Jet West if I remember correctly. Airnav shows current fuel price at 6.20. Yerrington, about 40 miles south has cheaper fuel.

We are contemplating flying down to the Reno Air Races in September and landing at Reno/ Tahoe. Any recommendations on where to bunk and refuel the 6A while we are there?

Hi, Ross! I go into Carson City where there is no charge, and some good people at the FBO on the West end. They give me a ride to the main drag, where I catch the bus to Reno. Reno has a really great bus system that goes to the Race about every 15 minutes. Im once stayed at Reno-Tahoe, and they charged $25/night during the races; never again! There are some reasonable hotels in Sparks to the east, and the Hilton out there has some reasonable rates.

Offer

My offer still stands for anyone that wants to hit Carson City. I bet i could even arrange a ride to whatever motel in CC for nothing. We have a great group of RV owners on the field.

Bill and Paul. Ok, you've convinced us to land at Carson City instead of Reno.

Bill, are car rentals available close by? I'd be interested in some hangar space if some is available. Which FBO is the best to deal with for fuel or do you just have self serve pumps? Any other useful tidbits for going in and departing? We've been looking at the route and facilities online and on the maps.

Some numbers and info

Ross,

Some FBO info (fuel prices from Airnav.com):

Carson City (KCXP) FBOs:
Mountain West (800) 894-0836 ($5.17)
El Aero (775) 883-1500 ($5.30)

They may be able to give you rental car info. The locals may have more info too (good RV group there, as has been stated!) It's about 45 minutes up hiway 395 to the Peppermill, and another 15 minutes or so to Stead.

Reno (KRNO) FBOs (just in case plans change):
Jet West (775) 825-6400 ($6.20)
Mercury Aviation (775) 858-7300 (no price shown, probably similar to JW)
Sierra Air Center (775) 856-8900 (also no price shown, also probably similar)

There are also shuttles to/from the Peppermill (to the races). Some info from the RARA site on them is at http://www.airrace.org/shuttle.php

Hope this helps! Kicking around an idea to host an RV BBQ at some point during the races. Whether or not that flies, we'll have to try to gather the RV bubbas up and give Section 3 (and their orange T-shirts) a run for their money!

Cheers,

Bob Mills
"Rocket Six"
N600SS
Reno-Stead (4SD)