msturgis

Well Known Member
I found an IO-360-A1A ,1400smoh, all logs, compresions in the 70s, but has had a prop strike and the crank flange is shot.

The intersting part is I can get this for under 3k.

Any thoughts if this might be worth going after? How much would a complete tear down and over haul typically cost with needing a new crank?

sounds tempting, especially to someone like me, who's always looking for a 'deal'. It might be worth that much, just to part it out. (Assuming that everything is still on the engine.)

But if you plan to overhaul, price that crank, then remember that if the crank is trash, there may well be other expensive parts that got damaged at the same time, and the cylinders are at 75% of tbo, even if they are still good.

Charlie

I was told earlier last year a tear down and overhaul would be about 15,000 by a reputable commonly used engine company. This did not include replacing the crank.

$3000 is about what cores are worth, give or take. If it has all the accessories you might save a couple thousand, but I'd have every accessory connected to the crank inspected

Last edited:
If you have to pay someone to do a tear down inspection by the time he finishes with the parts needed list you will be very close to what a rebuilt exchange will cost from Lycoming. I have done this for many customers over the years including myself. I saved $5000 by not charging myself labor after all the surprises were over with. So what did I save? I get to go to my self for warrenty. If you don't do the whole overhaul at the same time you will be working on the engine every other day. To me that is as frustrating as bad weather.

I would say no.

Several reasons. 1400 SMOH doesn't mean the cylinders and cam shaft are good now or good to Factory Fresh TBO.

The main reason is that major overhaul 1400 hours ago might have included using parts that were perfectly legal; with-in 'service limits'. For example the Pistons might have been bead blasted clean and they mic'ed out within service limits then reinstalled. Those pistons might have gone past the wear limits at 900 hours and would have to be replaced at the next overhaul.

Same for the cylinders. They may have been chrome plated and now are beyond limits; or ground ten over and are now out of limits; ten over pistons are more expensive. You already know the crank is toast; maybe they re-used the original camshaft and now the cam is out of limits ($). Same for the lifters, piston pins and the gears on the crank and mags.

Several reasons. 1400 SMOH doesn't mean the cylinders and cam shaft are good now or good to Factory Fresh TBO.

The main reason is that major overhaul 1400 hours ago might have included using parts that were perfectly legal; with-in 'service limits'. For example the Pistons might have been bead blasted clean and they mic'ed out within service limits then reinstalled. Those pistons might have gone past the wear limits at 900 hours and would have to be replaced at the next overhaul.

Same for the cylinders. They may have been chrome plated and now are beyond limits; or ground ten over and are now out of limits; ten over pistons are more expensive. You already know the crank is toast; maybe they re-used the original camshaft and now the cam is out of limits ($). Same for the lifters, piston pins and the gears on the crank and mags.

Good points... Thanks for the info..

Please forgive my ignorance with this engine stuff, but would there be any vlue in using it as a core?

you're looking at $3k+ for a crank to put in this unknown core. So if you want a $6000 core which you don't know the condition of the case, cam or cylinders. It could still work depending on what the TT is on the rest of it. If the seller will guarantee to other stuff will yellowtag, might be worth it.

ENGINE

Questions to ask:
Date of manufacture
Total engine time
wide deck or narrow deck
date of major overhaul
who did the overhaul
has the engine been near the coast since overhaul
When was the prop strike event

if the engine has spent most of its life near the coast, walk away
If the major was 20 years ago walk away
Nitride cylinders are notorious for rust pits that turn them into junk. This is especially true if the engine has been sitting around with no preservation treatment.The nitride cylinders are marked with blue paint on cylinder fins just inboard of upper spark plug. I personally would not want an engine that is beyond 4000 hours total time.

a core worth 3K???? i'll take it. the last time i checked a 360 core is worth 9k
you cant get a case for 3k anymore.

bottom line is if you want a zero time and dont want to build it your shelf just buy a zero time or a new engine. the only time that buying a run out and paying someoneto overhaul it will save you ANY money is if you get a great deal on a core. three grand for a runout with a propstrike is possibly a good deal if the case, cam, and rods check out and you build it your shelf.

otherwise, with the three grand for the engine, 4 grand for a crank you are only a couple of grand below what you will pay for not having a core. if the case does not check out you will be in it over what a new engine from lycoming or eci would cost.

bob burns
N82RB

a core worth 3K???? i'll take it. the last time i checked a 360 core is worth 9k
you cant get a case for 3k anymore.

bottom line is if you want a zero time and dont want to build it your shelf just buy a zero time or a new engine. the only time that buying a run out and paying someoneto overhaul it will save you ANY money is if you get a great deal on a core. three grand for a runout with a propstrike is possibly a good deal if the case, cam, and rods check out and you build it your shelf.

otherwise, with the three grand for the engine, 4 grand for a crank you are only a couple of grand below what you will pay for not having a core. if the case does not check out you will be in it over what a new engine from lycoming or eci would cost.

bob burns
N82RB

Wait... I got second dibbs on this one.