rfinch

Well Known Member
Van's preview plans and manual talks about crimping....for the RV-9 on p. 5-21 it describes the type of crimp desired--where just one side of the barrel is indented--and contrasts that with a lesser quality crimp which crushes the whole barrel into an oval.

Good. What type of crimper will produce the desired, better quality crimp?

Here's the tool that Bob Nuckolls recommended in his seminar.

AMP 59250 Red Blue Certi-Crimp T-Head Hand Crimper

FP11122007A0001T.jpg

There are usually several of them on Ebay, but I didn't see any when I did a quick search. I was able to purchase one for about $80 last December.

Get you one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93977 for crimping PIDG type connectors. They can be found on sale for $10 at H-F.

This tool http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36411 will do what Van's says but the ratcheting crimper above makes a better crimp.

Hope this helps.

Not sure I'd trust my electrical system with any tool from Harbor Freight. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of HF tools, just not for my electrical. Some things are worth getting right the first time, every time.

Expensive

Here's the tool that Bob Nuckolls recommended in his seminar.

AMP 59250 Red Blue Certi-Crimp T-Head Hand Crimper

There are usually several of them on Ebay, but I didn't see any when I did a quick search. I was able to purchase one for about $80 last December.

I just did a web search for these. Ebay has a couple used for $140 & $190 + SH. I also found a site selling them new for $990!

YIKES! This wasn't in the budget.

man up and buy the AMP tool. There really is no comparison.

Similarly, if you're gonna do any amount of avionics harness work, spend the money and get a DMC AFM-8 pin crimper and the positioners.

man up and buy the AMP tool. There really is no comparison.

Similarly, if you're gonna do any amount of avionics harness work, spend the money and get a DMC AFM-8 pin crimper and the positioners.

Agreed..... After taking Bob's seminar, I purchased both. They are hot items on Ebay. Just start shopping early and pass on those auctions that get out of line. I got both of these tools for about $80 each.

Pricing is probably directly proportional to the sense of urgency. I don't need either for awhile, which is probaly why I got such deals. If I needed them asap, I probably wouldn't be able to find them at a reasonable price.