Dan_E_Root

FAA inspector today gave me some excellent advice, which I'm sure is not new to many of you. However, some (like me) may not know about or fully understand this practice, as was the case with three old moss backs like me, my EAA chapter president with fifty years flying experience, and my highly educated engineer pal. I know we've all seen the little dabs of paint, but may not have understood what they're for.

He pointed out that the folks who built my engine, had put a dab of paint on each nut or bolt that had been torqued. the paint was placed either on the threads and nut, or such that it was on the nut and the mated surface. As such, the paint mark serves two purposes. First, it is a visual reminder to the person that put it there, that the bolt was indeed torqued to spec, and need not be re-adjusted. Secondly, it is a visual cue during future inspections, that the nut was torqued, that it is still in its orginal spot, and that it has not worked loose.

How 'bout that!

Attn moderator: don't know if this tip should go under safety or builders tips

Dan:

It's called a torque stripe and should be used on all bolts that are critical. Should be on all nuts used on flight controls and main assemblies such as wing, empanage, landing gear etc. unless cotter keyed.

It a "best practice".

Jekyll

Sharpie pen

Does almost the same thing and is quicker...Unless it get a solvent on it of course.

Frank

Inspection laquer

Aircraft Spruce sells the stuff here:

Aircraft Spruce F-900 Torque Seal

For anyone who needs to liven things up a bit, here's a place that sells inspection lacquer in at least a dozen colors:

Ryan Enterprises

Hope that helps someone.

BTW: I put it on my RV-8 QB fuel tank mounting nuts after checking the torque. (You QB builders have checked those, right? I found six of them that were torqued to no more than half the proper value...)