gbrasch

Well Known Member
I just took delivery of a kit O-360-A1A engine from RV builder Dana Overall. I cannot speak highly enough about the service before and after the sale, and the price and engine componants themselves. I would highly recommend Dana as a stand up guy to deal with if he decides to sell more kit engines. Here is a link to his engine page: http://rvflying.tripod.com/id32.html

webpage

Thanks Glenn.

Here is the website of the kit Glenn received for $11,500.

http://rvflying.tripod.com/id36.html
http://rvflying.tripod.com/id37.html

The one Glenn mentioned is the the kit I put in my airplane with 7666 and prop gov. I have a prop now but am looking for a non sub serial number hub.

I am currently trying to put another two engine kits together. Hoping the CPA continuing education and tax season don't get in the way of having fun. Don't want to talk too much outside of the classified forum.

BTW Doug, $$ for having this great forum is on the way!! Folks, if you don't donate to Doug.................................shame on you.

Last edited:
How hard is it to put these together? Seems like a great deal.
Are any other parts needed to complete the engine?

Can someone explain to me the concept/definition of terms like "yellow-tagged"..."red-tagged"..."certified parts"...etc. ????

Yellow Tagged

The term are used for certified components.

Yellow tagged means used components that are deemed "serviceable" or "air worthy." It is sometimes called a return to service tag. It can mean that the components have been inspected and meet serviceable limits, repaired or overhauled. These components should come from a cerfitied repair station. The yellow tag will tell you what work has been accomplished, and generally what size the components have been repaired to (i.e. M003 on crankshaft main and rod journals, P10 on cylinders, etc.) Ask around about the shop that has done the component repair to verify the quality of their work. There are repair stations that we no longer accept work from due to poor quality repairs.

Red-tagged means these are reject parts considered unairworthy. On occasion, some engine shops and a lot of air boat builders use reject/red tagged parts in experimental applications. Some will say that although it's experimental and doesn't need to have certified parts, I would never put my family in an airplane built with a reject crank or cases. You have to ask yourself what risks you're willing to take.

There is also a repairable tag that repair stations use to identify parts that have been inspected and are considered eligible for repair with some work. It is generally a green tag.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

R&B Custom Lycoming Engines (no web site but always have a small ad in Sport Aviation) will sell you a basic overhauled engine for $11.5K - no core required. Add new ECI cyl assys, cam, lifters, fuel pump, mags, etc and the price becomes about $16K. Still a good price. He builds 1 engine per month. Next delivery position is June-July 2007.

Steve