flyboy1963

Well Known Member
Travelling after labour day to Van's, via Amtrack.
I have a small list of parts to buy ( brake pads, o-rings etc.)
..anyone from the Okanagan need anything? ( small)

It sounds like they only give demo rides to non-RV owners, so I'll just try to 'sit' in the RV-14a with my wife, maybe do the same in the -12 as a backup retirement plan! :)

apparently there are tours at 9 and 2, but anything else really a 'must do' while there? ( I guess a t-shirt or hat would be obvious; they probably won't let me leave without one!)

Depends on how much time you have. The Evergreen Museum in McMinnville is about 30 minute drive from Van's and is well worth the trip. The coast is about an hour and half or less. Nice coastal towns and beaches.
Since you are arriving via train, downtown Portland has a lot to do and see, easy access to walk or free light rail service in the core area right from the station.

How much time do you have to see things, how far away are you able to go??

Top of the list as far as I am concerned is Evergreen's muesum at McMinnville.

About a 45 min drive from Vans, and hours of stuff to look at.

Aurora

The actual town of Aurora is a designated historical site. Bunch of antique stores...don't know how things would fare traveling back though;)

I'm thinking of perhaps making a visit also. My only goal would be a demo ride in the 14A. I own a share in a 10 and I recieved a half hr in Vlad's 9A (thanks again Vlad) and if that disqualifies me from a demo in the 14 , I just will not build one it's that simple. I don't mind paying, that's fine, but if I'm willing to make a special trip from the east coast with the only purpose of the trip is to get a flight in an RV-14 before deciding which RV to build next, seems to me Van's could be a little flexable? Now if someone is just dropping by and looking for a fun ride that's something else and I don't blam Van's for the policy. I plan on asking before making travel plans and I don't expect any problems.For now, I'm waiting for more info on the RV-14A to be released, it's been quiet since Oshkosh, I thought perhaps some more info would come out of the Homecoming feativities.
Ron

I'm thinking of perhaps making a visit also. My only goal would be a demo ride in the 14A. I own a share in a 10 and I recieved a half hr in Vlad's 9A (thanks again Vlad) and if that disqualifies me from a demo in the 14 , I just will not build one it's that simple. I don't mind paying, that's fine, but if I'm willing to make a special trip from the east coast with the only purpose of the trip is to get a flight in an RV-14 before deciding which RV to build next, seems to me Van's could be a little flexable? Now if someone is just dropping by and looking for a fun ride that's something else and I don't blam Van's for the policy. I plan on asking before making travel plans and I don't expect any problems.For now, I'm waiting for more info on the RV-14A to be released, it's been quiet since Oshkosh, I thought perhaps some more info would come out of the Homecoming feativities.
Ron

Van's just wants to limit "joy rides". I have no doubt they will honor your request.

...you must be THIS tall!?!?!

Van's just wants to limit "joy rides". I have no doubt they will honor your request.

...is there any OTHER KIND?????? :)

but seriously, if they see I've brought my wife, it probably automatically increases the likelihood of my buying a kit..... by at least 73%.

My standard recommendation

Go north to the columbia river east of Portland and drive to the Visitor's Center overlooking the Columbia River Gorge and drive the upper bluff road to see the falls and Mt. Hood to Hood River. Visit the Dams see the Salmon steps. On the Washington side there is a replica of Stonehenge dedicated to the WWI soldiers and sailors from the area that did not return and an art museum. For a real treat go to Vernonia International Airport (joking) and maybe you will get to see the famous (and nice guy) Mike Seager.

Another favorite place which is probably too far away is Gold Beach with its Rogue River and Jet Boat tours.

Bob Axsom

Don't arrive at Van's on Friday...

Unless they have changed their schedule, only the offices are open on Friday. You can get a tour, but the shops are idle since the folks who work in the back work Monday through Thursday.

I wish I had known that before I made the trek out to the Northwest in 2005. Perhaps they have changed their schedule since then; it would be worth your time to call Van's before you leave home, if seeing the kit production is important to you.

We really enjoyed Portland during our four day weekend there. You can go in any direction from Portland and find something interesting to see. Good luck.