Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
On May 2, 2009 the first SARL sanctioned cross country air race will be flown in the heart of NASCAR land. I know that John Huft (RV-8), Jon Ross (RV-8), Alan Carroll (RV-8) and Dave Christman (RV-8) can outrun me but it will be interesting to take on the likes of Pierre in his RV-6A with a Catto prop. I hope to see some of the other super hot RVs as competition for our little Blue Bird from Arkansas.

I don't know how well this is publicized but I found the information at www.sportairrace.org under Calendar of Events and then Palmetto 125. I know they have run the Race to Ridgeland before and the will again this year but that has some handicapping to level the playing field I believe - the Palmetto 125 I believe is run over the same course but the only "equilizer" is the SARL class limits (defined under "mission" at the SARL website). I will be racing in the RV Blue class which is limited to RVs with 360 cu. in. max displacement (RV Red is the same but limited to 320 cu. in. displacement). There are no limits on modifications.

Bob Axsom

Palmetto 125

Pierre I know you plan on flying in the race at Ridgeland, SC on May 2 but I looked at the entry list and your name isn't there yet. When you go into the SARL website www.sportairrace.org then click on Calendar of Events followed by a click on the underlined Palmetto 125 text you will find a link to the race information. This one is a little different than most in that the information says to notify a specific man that you intend to racehe is Lee Logan and his e-mail address is [email protected] - looking forward to seeing you and all the other hot southern RV birds there.

Bob Axsom

The following racers have registered for the Palmetto 125 Air Race as of 9 April:

Race # Name Aircraft Class

Race 71 Bob Axsom RV-6A "Blue Bird" RV Blue
Race B6 Ron Schreck RV-8 "Miss Izzy" RV Blue

Race 38 Steve Reeves Glasair I FT FX Red

Race 22 Sam Hoskins Quickie Q-200 "Plastic Explosive" Sprint

Race 30 Marvin Guthrie Bonanza F33A FAC1RG

Race 448 Jim Porter Cirrus S-20 FAC3FX

Race 41 Shelby Bowles C337B Twin1

hot RV's

Hello Bob,
I was down at Courtland, Alabama, a few weeks ago planning the Tennessee Valley Air Race and Speed Dash and Air Show. I was hearing rumors of a really hot RV-8 in that area that plans to race in the TV air race. There is an RV-7A here in FNL that is newly flying and is claiming to be very very fast. He says he will run the Colorado 150. That would be an interesting contest for you. I gave the speed dash info to Mike Thompson so we should be seeing it on the website soon.

Chris Murphy RACE34

Woe is me - another hot RV-8

In reallity it is a joy just to participate although I peddle as hard as I can and really enjoy winning. I am working on metal covers for all of the access holes in the rudder and elevators and hope to pick up a little bit of speed before the Ridgeland race then I am working on some other stuff that I really want to get done before the AirVenture Cup race. It would be great if I could get them in for the Tennesee Valley race in Courtland, Alabama. I don't know of any other race like the straight line speed dash you are planning as a part of that event. That is so exciting because once you make the two way pass you will have your speed based on the plane itself - no navigation, no altitude picking for winds, no turns - just raw speed - plane against plane - I love it.

I should make all of the rest of the races except Texoma and those in September when we will be traveling.

Bob Axsom
RACE 71

Last edited:
Only two RVs entered

The following racers have registered for the Palmetto 125 Air Race as of 24 April:

Race # Name Aircraft Class
Race 71 Bob Axsom RV-6A "Blue Bird" RV Blue
Race B6 Ron Schreck RV-8 "Miss Izzy" RV Blue
Race 38 Steve Reeves Glasair I FT FX Red
Race 22 Sam Hoskins Quickie Q-200 "Plastic Explosive" Sprint
Race 30 Marvin Guthrie Bonanza F33A FAC1RG
Race 448 Jim Porter Cirrus S-20 FAC3FX

Hi Bob....

.....win, lose or draw, we'll be there....for the camaraderie if nothing else.
I'm not in the Palmetto 125 but will do the Race to Ridgeland.

Regards,

It's still being worked out I'm told

It seems that the two organizations expected each other to run the Palmetto 125 and since we are running the same course they may run us concurrently. I'm just a racer so I don't know how all of that is going to work out. In my humble opinion it would be good if they posted the results of every one in the Palmetto 125 even if it meant that I would get fewer points in the SARL season point standings for a lower finish. This is done in the AirVenture Cup Race and there is no technical reason not to do it with the Palmetto 125/Race to Ridgeland as well. The weather forecasts continue to predict good weather so we are planning the trip. Because of the wild fire up north we are altering our mini-vacation plans for Myrtle Beach. We will probably base at Hilton Head and drive to Brookgreen Gardens and other sites for pleasure. We will see you at Ridgeland.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
It think you will enjoy it

It sounds like Lee Logan and the folks at Ridgeland are going all out to put on a good event. I like the paragraph that states:

Come join us for a great day of fun and flying. Two great air races, a spot landing contest, demonstration fly-bys by the Globe Swift Association, local and visiting vintage aircraft, a formation demonstration by the Palmetto Wing of "Van's Air Force, and much more. The R2R[Race to Ridgeland] is sponsored by the Jasper County Aeronautics Commission and supported by cadets from the Civil Air Patrol, local churches (food, beverage and T-shirt sales) and by local pilots and citizens. see you there!​

A friend sent me an e-mail and said the if he can get his corn planted early this week he may be able to fly his EVO Rocket down for the race. It is FAST! Maybe there will be a surge of participation at the last minute. The pass down the runway below 1,000 ft at top speed should be interesting.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Bob, et al: We are really looking forward to the Palmetto 125 and hopeful for a strong turnout! I will be at Ridgeland all day on Friday, 1 May to meet and greet SARL contestants when they come in. I should be able to answer most questions at that time.

We have a race briefing scheduled for 0700 Saturday morning for all SARL contestants. I will give the briefing, but I would like to have someone from SARL (a racer is fine) to have the final word on SARL rules and scoring, etc. We plan to run the Palmetto 125 in accordance with a sub-set of the Race to Ridgeland rules, but one or two of our rules may not apply particularly well to the Palmetto 125/SARL race. I would like you guys to be able to control your own race from that standpoint, at least.

We will have an official scorer for the Palmetto 125 equipped with stop watches and an official turnpoint observer at ONE of the turnpoints. The observer is principallly for the Race to Ridgeland, but we can use him to determine compliance with the rules for the Palmetto 125 too if you guys so desire.

First takeoff for the Palmetto 125 is at 0800 and as fast as you guys are, I would expect everyone back through the start/finish line well before 0900 when the Race to Ridgeland starts. Since we plan to run the races separately, I plan to score them separately as well which would mean full points to SARL racers. I don't want our "fun" race to cost you more serious races any points! We will post all the times together at some point just to show everyone where they would have come out had we run everything at the same time. Since the Race to Ridgeland is handicapped and the SARL race is not, we may well have an R2R winner who is substantially slower than even the slowest SARL racer! Different races, different objectives.

My thanks in advance to both Mike Thompson and to the SARL organization for including Ridgeland in your racing schedule. If you guys enjoy yourselves and the race fits your schedule and event "template", perhaps we can make the Palmetto 125 a permanent part of the "R2R".

See you all this weekend,

Best wishes,

Lee...

Bob, et al: We are really looking forward to the Palmetto 125 and hopeful for a strong turnout! I will be at Ridgeland all day on Friday, 1 May to meet and greet SARL contestants when they come in. I should be able to answer most questions at that time.

We have a race briefing scheduled for 0700 Saturday morning for all SARL contestants. I will give the briefing, but I would like to have someone from SARL (a racer is fine) to have the final word on SARL rules and scoring, etc. We plan to run the Palmetto 125 in accordance with a sub-set of the Race to Ridgeland rules, but one or two of our rules may not apply particularly well to the Palmetto 125/SARL race. I would like you guys to be able to control your own race from that standpoint, at least.

We will have an official scorer for the Palmetto 125 equipped with stop watches and an official turnpoint observer at ONE of the turnpoints. The observer is principallly for the Race to Ridgeland, but we can use him to determine compliance with the rules for the Palmetto 125 too if you guys so desire.

First takeoff for the Palmetto 125 is at 0800 and as fast as you guys are, I would expect everyone back through the start/finish line well before 0900 when the Race to Ridgeland starts. Since we plan to run the races separately, I plan to score them separately as well which would mean full points to SARL racers. I don't want our "fun" race to cost you more serious races any points! We will post all the times together at some point just to show everyone where they would have come out had we run everything at the same time. Since the Race to Ridgeland is handicapped and the SARL race is not, we may well have an R2R winner who is substantially slower than even the slowest SARL racer! Different races, different objectives.

My thanks in advance to both Mike Thompson and to the SARL organization for including Ridgeland in your racing schedule. If you guys enjoy yourselves and the race fits your schedule and event "template", perhaps we can make the Palmetto 125 a permanent part of the "R2R".

See you all this weekend,

Best wishes,

Lee...

Everything sounds great. I wish Pierre was flying with us real time but the combined speed order listing regardless of race or class will satisfy the competitive animal desires.

Bob Axsom
Race #71

Quick mod

Smokey, Pierre, Glenn and whoever eslse is going to Ridgeland - I'm working on a plug mod for the elevator and horizontal stabilized. I'm doing my best to make a good show but looking forward to it how ever it comes out.

Bob Axsom

This is my airplane....

....Bob, since you'll be done when I start....you'd better look fast.....:D

I'll be doing redline at 5 feet!!

Jimandme.jpg

BTW, the big guy is 6'5" from Ok. and he fit for transition training using only the seat bolster!

Regards,

Last edited:
In the end I'm not going

We packed the car, drove to the airport, loaded the plane and filed the IFR flight plan but the thunder storms are booming here and they are not expected to clear out until Tuesday. We were really looking forward to visiting South Carolina again and flying in the first SARL race there. Maybe next year? Hope you all have a good time.

Bob Axsom

We packed the car, drove to the airport, loaded the plane and filed the IFR flight plan but the thunder storms are booming here and they are not expected to clear out until Tuesday. We were really looking forward to visiting South Carolina again and flying in the first SARL race there. Maybe next year? Hope you all have a good time.

Bob Axsom

Bob,
Sorry you missed it! We had a great time and the weather was great. Seemed to be a bigger turn out then last year.