1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
I'm changing out my metal Sensenich prop for a wood prop - mainly to have a better CG balance. As-is, my RV4 is balancing at the very forward limit of the CG range. Switching to wood will also give the added benefits of a lighter plane as well as not having the 2600rpm restriction on the prop.

The only thing that might be an issue is that it seems like a lot of the wood prop guys have to use an inertia ring (I think that's what they're called) to slow down their idle RPM's. Is this the only reason for the rings? If I have to use one, then it would negate the benefits of my losing weight from a lighter wood prop. Can someone give their thoughts on this?

Is there anything else I need to consider?? I've talked Ed and Frank (from Sterba and Performance) and they think I'm making the right choice.

I know about the issues with rain (which for me is not an issue, b/c I don't plan on doing it), and the need to periodically re-torque. Is there anything else I'm missing??

The rings you speak of are typically used to add weight. They do add a little "flywheel" effect, but very little.
Airplanes have been flying for over a century with wood props and no "weighted rings". You'll be fine without it!

I have been flying an RV-6 with a Sensenich fixed-pitch wood prop / O-360 combination for several years. It is very smooth and performs well. No special operational considerations -- typical wooden prop stuff such as avoid extensive rain, regularly retorque bolts, and store the prop in a horizontal position. No need for any supplemental flywheel rings.

I must admit though, I really enjoy it when a constant-speed prop "kicks in" on initial takeoff acceleration! ;)

I will chime in with a recommend for the Prince P-Tip.

Flying one on a Buddy's RV6 with a 180hp motor.

Just keeps accelerating on take off, nice and smooth, plenty of protection from rain and fast - very fast.

We have an RV7 with an MT 3 blade c/s prop on a 180 and I think he 6 is faster at altitude.