Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
What do you do on a beautiful day with a couple hours free for lunch, and your wife working at her job 100 miles away? You arrange to meet for lunch at a nice little town in the country ? the little diner at the Brenham airport. Houston is having a couple of days of unseasonably nice weather (I think the atmosphere got tired of trying to keep Larry Pardue here with low clouds, and when it failed to stop him, it gave up and turned nice?) with visibility to the horizon and temperatures more appropriate for northern climes, and humidity more reasonable than the normal ?Turkish Batch? we experience from May through September.

Most folks consider a lunch date with their working spouse to be a local restaurant that other can reach in ten or fifteen minutes ? a few miles away for each. But the magic of these RV machines shrinks the world considerably. These airplanes, designed by Van ?the Dutchman? himself, are efficient and frugal in a way that makes it completely reasonable to fly 30 minutes for a lunch date. The little 50?s diner at Brenham has a wonderful screened porch, nice shade ? and great malts! A normal couple might consider the one who has the shortest ?drive? to be the lucky one on such a date, but I think I had the advantage today ? Louise barely had a chance to get her oil warm on the twenty mile flight from College Station, whereas I had an enroute time of 30 minutes. (Well, call it 28 without the loops and rolls along the way.)

I doubt that I will ever really believe that this part of Texas is a wonderful place, but at this time of year there are wildflowers blooming, the grass greening up, and water flowing in the rivers and creeks. You can smell nature coming out ? even up at altitude you can feel the earth coming alive. It is refreshing and wonderful ? a feeling of energy enhanced by the powerful freedom we enjoy in our three-dimensional chariots. Thirty minutes for lunch, a few minutes to sit and enjoy the companionship and the atmosphere ? then back to our respective winged steeds to carry us back to the real world. I think the waitress thought we were having an illicit tryst. Who are we to ruin her day?

Oh ? going Dutch? Nah?.the one who burned the least Avgas picked up the check. Good planning on my part, huh guys?

RV?s ? gotta? love ?em!

Paul

Paul, I know what.....

you mean now. I finally got to use my 6 to fly over to New Braunfels from Conroe Monday to have lunch with my 88 year old mother. 51 minutes and I was there vs. four hour drive. We had lunch at the "Clear Springs Rest.", she was so happy to see me down safe. I ended up spending the night. The cafe FBO rented me a hail shed for $7.00 and flew back Tuesday morining. Met a couple of RVer's at NB, John & Norm, they had a good looking RV9a.

These are great little "Time Machines", exactly why I built mine.