RV_7A

Well Known Member
Anyone know how to access newer photos than what Google Earth has listed on there free software? It has got to be a few years old for Texas in general? Do you have to sign up for Plus or Pro to get later images?

-Jeff

Try Terrafly... but I think there are others. I used it to successfully locate my childhood home where I grew up in east Texas. Didn't have good enough resolution with Google Earth. However, from what I have seen, there are much better views for the urban areas than the rural areas of the US.

Not sure about widespread coverage, for that Google Earth rules. But if your looking for local coverage of specific places, most counties/municipalities will buy GIS coverage which could be found on their GIS website.

For instance, just google [my county/my city] GIS. If they have a website and satellite images, it could require some digging, but there you will find the most up to date images. Here's an example for Atlanta:

http://wms.co.fulton.ga.us/

Under 'Interactive Maps' choose 'General Site Maps', agree to the terms, then hit overlay 2002 aerial photo and refresh. This is where sites like Google and Microsoft/Terra Server actually get their info.

Google photos

I noted an intersting thing about google earth. A year or so ago I googled my house and it was under cloud cover. Last week I googled and it was not. What is interesting is in the photo my camp trailer was parked by my grape arbor. The only time it has ever been there is a couple of weeks last summer while I was cleaning the shop. I don't think that photo could have been much more than 6 months old.

How do I get my name etc. to show up??

Last edited:
That stuff seems to be changing all the time. Our airport was in a low res. area and when it was updated the images were only a few months old.

County GIS

As stated above, try your local county.

Our county (Pima, AZ) has color and b/w photos to 6 inch resolution... and the year they were taken is in the layer index....

Not only are lots shown, links to the county assessor tax pages are automatic, and contours to 2 ft resolution are available.

gil in Tucson

Unfortunately, our house was photographed when the pool had a "green" episode.... :(