GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
So there I was, in the desert of New Mexico, minding my own business and dreaming RV’s when I get a text from SkyKing Bob. Says he’s going to come to KABQ to put a dent in my boredom. :)

He did. We did. Then we did our best to interrupt the day of a lot of very friendly people at Moriarty Airport, NM. In a sea of brown, the airport is a hidden jewel. Lots of things and people we never expected to see.

Visited with (proud to call him my friend), F-111 pilot Extraordinaire, Tom Bender. Tom is also an RV-6 builder/Flyer and I did an VAF article a few years ago on my adventures with Tom.

Link here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=90545&highlight=moriarty

r0tgnt.jpg

As SkyKing and I were visiting with Tom we heard a roar and Tom instantly knew we needed to be outside to watch the Sonex jet zoom by.

Of course, we had to go check out what was going on. We discovered that another pilot of fame had invaded our airspace for a checkout on the Sonex jet.

AOPA Pilot Senior Editor Dave Hirschman, had flown a beautiful RV-10 to Moriarty specifically to take a ride. With the deed done, Dave conned SkyKing and I into helping him drag the -10 to the fuel pump. Looked easy enough, however, for flatland pilots it was more than we expected. Moriarty Airport is 6200’ and I live at 18’ in South Florida. Even SkyKing was gasping after our mission. Dave just laughed.

(Note: the Beautiful RV-10 in the photos is For-Sale. Contact me via pm and
I'll send you Dave's contact info.)

20mwx2.jpg

2ikwsb5.jpg

mbjuy8.jpg

n4w2rk.jpg

Continued in Part 2

Last edited:
Go West Young Man, Part 2

Bob Carlton of Vertigo Airshows (Bob performed the SubSonex Personal Jet Air Show at Sun 'n Fun 2015!) has joined the Sonex team. Bob performed aerobatics never before seen in a microjet air show.

14cqzr4.jpg

After catching our wind, literally, we wandered the airport some more and found Cameron Smith (VAF RV468) working on his great looking 2008 RV-4. Cameron was out flying but the winds picked up substantially and he decided to hang at the hangar for the remainder of the day.

1zehaid.jpg

34oajk7.jpg

Moving on, we found a gentleman working on a Cessna 414 and he turned out to be a wealth of information about the new, HUGE, Google building at Moriarty Airport (sorry, forgot to take a pic). He is intimately involved in a project Google has to provide internet access to undeveloped countries using orbiting UAV?s powered by solar panel covered wings. As he stated, 3 billion people are without internet access due to their location. Seems like a very lucrative commercial venture if it works.

Then, last but not least, we attended the weekly Commemorative Air Force, Lobo Wing?s Saturday burger and BBQ bash. What a treat!

5yst4g.jpg

Oh, I guess that wasn?t the last but not least. I had to show SkyKing Bob the local airport admin building complete with pilot?s lounge. Yes, here is a photo of Vlad?s couch. :D

s2d16f.jpg

Jeez, almost forgot the obligatory food photo for Vlad. (Actually, SkyKing Bob reminded me)

2iveath.jpg

A good time was had by all but I still miss my -6 !!

Ah Moriarty! Great windy memories thank Gary. That couch was comfy. Local sheriff showed up around 2 am to check if everything is OK :)

Is the runway project completed?

Great Day!

Hey Gary.....thanks a million for making time for the trip to Moriarty aviation mecca. Great meeting such American Patriots like Tom and all the other wonderful pilots around the field that took time to talk aviation:)

Once again the aviation community proves to be filled with a great class
of people!!!

Oh and Vlad...the runway is complete!!!:cool:

Moriarty is indeed a cool place - lots of interesting flying machines - but you missed the Glider Merry-Go-Round! Carlton built it so that they can store eight long-winged birds in an 80x80 hangar. Punch a button, and your glider shows up at the front!

And the Subsonex is indeed quite cool to fly....

Ah Moriarty! Great windy memories thank Gary. That couch was comfy. Local sheriff showed up around 2 am to check if everything is OK :)

Is the runway project completed?

Vlad, I've been here for 5 weeks and the wind hasn't stopped yet. :)
As SkyKing Bob stated, the new N/S runway is complete. 5000' of extreme crosswind rescue.

SkyKing Bob, I'm planning on Saturday. Seems we should check out the Glider Merry-Go-Round Paul wrote about.

Turbo, most of SkyKing's jokes were not suitable for a family forum...:D:D

Glider Merry-Go-Round

So, Skyking Bob and I decided to take Paul's advice and hit Moriarty Airport again this weekend to hunt down the Glider Merry-Go-Round that Bob Carlton built. VERY cool.

16916s0.jpg

YouTube video here:
http://youtu.be/V-WlOJ-8Aas

DR, maybe you can incorporate a variant of this rotisserie design at the VAF hangar. :D

I WANT A NEW ENGINE FOR MY RV-6

2a8nk01.jpg

After the Glider Merry-Go-Round demonstration, Bob decided to show us the jet powered glider that's in his inventory. A 250lb thrust jet engine, same as what's on the SubSonex Jet. Deploys in a few seconds for launch/additional altitude needs :), and cross country flying.

YouTube deployment video here:
http://youtu.be/4zIHw3Kf6Ss

YouTube retraction video here:
http://youtu.be/Y48kdhwYWkc

Of course, we hit up the CAF for lunch again. John, one of Skyking's friends from work shared the day with us. Turns out we were both 60's era Marines, in Vietnam at almost the exact same time and had almost the same MOS. Small world.

JOHN AND SKYKING DRINKING IT ALL IN

157yjy0.jpg

Once again, a great time.

Glad you got to see the place Gary - and the Bonusjet. I just got my latest license in the mail with my "TsT-14" rating - its fun to fly!

Last edited:
Glad you got to see the place Gary - and the Bonusjet. I just got my latest license in the mail with my "TsT-14" rating - its fun to fly!

Congrats Paul. It's quite a ride.

Jerry, thanks for the link. Very cool. Wish I had a hangar large enough. I would have kept my beloved Taylorcraft :)

To close it out, Sunday was Skyking Bob's initial glider ride. He said it was FANTASTIC.

24fiwrt.jpg

kcccrd.jpg

t7bn9y.jpg

Last, but not least, for those that want to see the jet powered glider take off, I was lucky enough to be there when Bob Carlton launched with an assist from his wife Lori.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7MyWEs6v8

Glider Merrygoround

What a cool idea. Although, it seems like not the most efficient packing.

At Air Sailing, NV, we have a 60 x 120 hangar, and I have gotten 14 gliders in it. So thats just 1/8th more square footage, and almost half-again as many gliders.

BUT....

It is a chore to get one out.
With this merrygoround, easy to get any one out. Probably greatly reduces risk of hangar rash too.

Thanks for posting this.