olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Have a GoPro Hero 3 mounted behind the backseat (RV-4) and it will occasionally shut down on it's own. I have the extra battery BacPac attached inside the Dive Housing so I have enough battery power and be able to mount a Nuetral Density filter on the lens to eliminate the prop.

Could it be that the camera is overheating and shutting off? I don't use the dive housing underwater since it has the slot on the side to hookup to Acft power and the intercom. Should I cut out some of the plastic backplate for ventilation or use some kind of sunshade over the back? Or is there something else going on?

Oly

Overheating is a possibility. For warmer dry environments, I use a GoPro "open" case and haven't had any overheating issues. If you haven't already, check GoPro's site to see if there are any updates available for your camera. I've had some issues with the camera freezing up in the past and the software update resolved it.

I have my Stratus II mounted on the back turtle deck and a static cling tinted sunshade seems to keep it from overheating. So trying something like that for the camera may work as well.

This can also happen if the microSD card can't keep up with the rate at which the GoPro is transferring data (or if the card is bad). I've had this happen with my camera mounted under the wing, where its definitely not overheating. Solution in my case was to get a new card that meets the recommended performance level.

GoPro shutting down

I had the problem a couple times...Was not heat related..called tech support and they talked me through a"re-boot" maneuver...fixed the problem.

by the way, what filter are you using to stop prop from strobing??

GoPro

Doug,

Depending on lighting conditions and haze I use an ND .8 filter or a circular polarizer. I run the GoPros at 1080 with 60fps.

One camera on my head- run medium or narrow FOV. Wide makes everyone look far away even when you are flying close fingertip position.

The other camera on the back deck behind rear seat facing forward with wide FOV & same 1080/60fps.

Make sure to do the latest update to the camera, get high speed class 10 Micro SD cards and only use WIFI to "sight in the camera" to check the preview. Start the recording manually and shut it off manually. Every time I have used WIFI it shuts off on it's own then shuts the camera off. Evidently the dynamic flying environment with radio transmission, transponder squawks, radar hits etc, the WIFI can't handle it.

I'm not a whiz bang avionics guy so I don't really know what's happening with the WIFI. Would really like to use it in flight but not having much luck so far. Anyone out there know how to fix this?

Oly