petehowell

Well Known Member
So what does the Minnesota Wing do on a Saturday morning when it is -18C in America's favorite twin cities? We head NORTH to the shores of Lake Superior where it was -22C for breakfast!

Alex P, Bernie W, Tim M, Dale F, Forrest F, Doug W, Peter F, Tom B, and I braved the cold in the quest for blueberry pancakes. It was clear and cold in the cities with a high overcast over Superior. We joined the local airport crowd and a flight instructor and his students from Rice Lake (on a XC lesson) for breakfast and story swapping.

I showed Forrest the econ cruise mode for the -9A on the way up, and on the way back got some air to air of Dale and Tim.

Buddies line up for the shot....

Dale%20and%20Tim_089.JPG

A bit tighter.....
Dale%20and%20Tim_097.JPG

Over/under......
Dale%20and%20Tim_056.JPG

Dale profile.....
Dale%20and%20Tim_020.JPG

Smile Dale....
Dale%20and%20Tim_024.JPG

The light under the cloud deck (and my lack of talent) did not allow me to capture the beautiful dark green of 565DM.....
Dale%20and%20Tim_032.JPG

Donde esta Pedro?

Pedro:

Checked your APRS Track for the 10th. Looks like a couple of 360's around Falcon Heights. You seemed to hold altitude to within 40-60 ft through most of 2 360's with a max of about 100 ft. I'm impressed!

Mi Casa

Hi Mannan,

I was taking the neighbor's exchange student for his first GA ride. We were checking out our houses.

That's Juan riding shotgun!
MB1W0627.jpg

Steve Bejarano photo

I don't think he understood I built the plane in the garage until after we landed. He wants to go for a "bigger" ride, so I think he enjoyed it.

Altitude control was probably more luck than skill, but thanks for the nice comment!

Last edited:
Well shoot, I was within 500 yards of you guys, thought I heard you on the radio. Would have been nice to say hi and meet most of the MN people, see some RV's, get some ideas (thinking of a 7 but can't do it right now).

We were preoccupied with an RC helicopter---indoors. A fine line between thrill and terror...:eek:

I need to keep tabs on the MN RV'ers. It would have been fun to make a trip to the warm country for pancakes since I'm 200 miles NW. ;)

Pete,

You and your gang must have come out of a different mold than me. I was born in Minnesota and there's no way I'd go flying in such cold weather. :) You must have a heated hangar.

Nevertheless, I sure enjoyed the pictures. It is interesting there appears to be so little snow on the ground as cold as it is. When I was a kid up there, there'd always be 24" by now and 3' by the end of March. Brown County down by New Ulm had a couple big rotary snow blowers in those days to keep the roads open, a regular plow couldn't handle it.

Times have changed and will continue to do so, I recon.

Last edited: