Vac

Well Known Member
Benefactor

Got alpha?

The video is an example of what intuitively appears to be a benign condition: the airplane is speeding up, and the flight path is below the horizon—how could I run out of lift with that much energy? Turns out, it’s easy…all I have to do is exceed the wing’s ability to generate lift.

I can’t say this any better than Vince “Duck” Wawrzynski so I won't try: “Years of training to speed approximations for wing efficiency have created a culture that is inherently susceptible to dangerous flight excursions.” Loss of control is an equal opportunity killer, and we’ve lost too many good pilots in the last eight decades for what remains the leading cause of GA/EAB fatalities. Most of those mishaps occur during day, VMC, light wind conditions.

The two fundamental skills required to fly an airplane are controlling lift and energy, but we can’t see lift looking out the window or at a set of conventional instruments, and the cockpit lacks an energy state gauge. Angle of attack is the “how hard the wing is working” and “power required” parameter. AOA and speed are joined at the hip, so it’s not a debate about which one is better, it’s a matter of providing accurate, timely, ergonomic, directive information directly to the pilot that makes flying easier and safer.

Come and learn more about AOA and energy maneuverability at Oshkosh this year. On Wednesday afternoon, beginning at 1300, the EAA is conducting an afternoon dedicated to AOA academics, discussion and simulator sessions. We are also conducting forums at the National Association of Flight Instructors tent on Monday morning, and in Forum 1 Monday afternoon. And on Friday morning, we’ll dive into the physics and engineering implementation behind accurate pressure-derived AOA theory at the Homebuilder’s Hangar.

Fly safe,

Vac and the FlyONSPEED/TLAR team

FlyONSPEED.org is an all-volunteer, non-profit, open-source organization dedicated to reducing loss of control mishap risk for our EAB and VAF community. Our objective is to lead from the front by demonstrating what is in the art of the doable.

Last edited:
I have had an AOA indicator in my RV since first flight almost 20 years ago. I refer to all the time especially in the pattern to land.

In addition to Vac, there are a lot of aviation “heavy hitters” showing up to promote AoA flying on Wednesday afternoon at the PPC - smack in the middle of the Airventure week! EAA, NAFI, the FAA…..everyone is getting behind the effort to spread the word that flying by AoA is safer and more efficient. AoA flying isn’t new - what’s new is the fact that AoA indicators are now available and easy to use in most GA cockpits - and Experimental aviation is leading the way!

Got an EFIS? You’ve got AoA! Come learn how to use it….

Vac gave a great demonstration at our Pensacola, FL EAA chapter last year. As Paul said if you have an EFIS you have AOA capability. If you're at OSH make one of the presentations a must.

How do I get a gen2 for Garmin if I don't want to build one? I can manage the software side.

Last edited:
Chuck Yeager..

Kate, that's a stupid instrument. If you don't know what your angle of attack is, you shouldn't be fly'n.

Yup - good ‘Ol Chuck - know lots of guys that flew with him, and never heard anything bad about his stick skills!

However, every pilot who thinks that they are as good as he was on the controls need to understand that statistically, half of us are below average…..and AoA might just give you the edge you’re looking for when the chips are down!

OnSpeed AOA is the best hands down. Sadly due to health reasons I've been self grounding and haven't enjoyed it as much, but that ends soon !

I wonder if Bill Anders would still be around if he had used an AOA while practicing his flight demonstration talents?

Even astronauts can get behind their aircraft.

Be Safe Out There,
Larosta
If I recall he tried a Split-S at too low an altitude. Under those circumstances, how would having an angle of attack indicator have made any difference?

Everyone wants to promote safe flying, but does anyone have a real-world flying experience where having an angle of attack instrument actually saved their lives? I can't recall ever having come across one.

I think what Chuck Yeager is saying is if you are at the extreme edge of "the envelope" you'll know it long before this instrument does you any good.

I think what Chuck Yeager is saying is if you are at the extreme edge of "the envelope" you'll know it long before this instrument does you any good.
The idea is that by using the sight and sound of the AOA, you don't have to get to that extreme edge of the envelope since you know where that edge is at any flight angle and speed.

statistically, half of us are below average
I disagree as a matter of statistics, as I strongly suspect pilot skill is not a bell curve. 🤣 I think it might be more like this, with Chuck on the far right:

IMG_2171.jpeg

I believe the concept is that flying by speed doesn't provide as much insight into effectiveness of your lift at any particular time as AOA. It's widely accepted that people have unknowingly gotten too slow and stalled even when IAS may seem acceptable. AOA provides additional knowledge on how the lift/wing is working. Become accustomed to flying by AOA and your flying with more knowledge. Why wouldn't you want that? Although not perfect, Nexrad provides more info than a stormscope - many find the extra knowledge invaluable.

It's not a black and white issue. Use all the knowledge you can to lower your risk. I certainly have AOA on my -10 and would like onspeed when it's avail for Garmin and I don't have to build the hardware.

If I recall he tried a Split-S at too low an altitude. Under those circumstances, how would having an angle of attack indicator have made any difference?

Everyone wants to promote safe flying, but does anyone have a real-world flying experience where having an angle of attack instrument actually saved their lives? I can't recall ever having come across one.

Look, I’’m not going to speculate on a recent accident for which an investigation has just been started, so let’s not go there.

You won’t find many accident reports for folks that had AoA keep them out of the aerodynamic weeds because, well - they didn’t fall over the edge and crash - hence, no investigation! But ask Jerry VanGrunsven about his base-to-final turn around an eagle’s nest that distracted him - he’ll flat out tell you that his AoA saved his bacon. I’ll tell you that I have been alerted by the AoA when I was distracted by mounting problems with the airplane and got a little too tight trying to make the runway. If you fly long enough, and are willing to publicly admit that you’re susceptible to making mistakes, you’ll have stories as well. Sit around the campfire with experienced pilots and you’ll find many similar tales - it happens.

Best thing you can do if you’re a skeptic and find yourself in Oshkosh on Wedensday afternoon durign the show is hike on up to the PPC (its at the HQ museum building - a good excuse to visit the museum while you’re there, and its air conditioned!) and sit in on some sessions to learn about it. More and more, flying by AoA is being accepted by experienced aviators and the instructor community. Flying by AoA is not new - but the ubiquitous availability of AoA indicators is. Use every tool in your box, and you stand a good chance of flying until you can’t pass the medical.

What Chuck failed to acknowledge was that not all pilots were as gifted as he was. Well, actually, saying things the way he did was his way of saying “well if you were as good as me, you’d be able to …..”

Admitting that we don’t know it all and can make mistakes is the first step to learning!

I love flying with the OnSpeed system because it gives both visual and auditory cues.

Maybe the OnSpeed engineering team with give us an update soon on the next generation of hardware.

The Onspeed box I fly is wonderful.

Unfortunately, they stopped making a key chip during the pandemic.

It would nice to see others add OnSpeed to their plane.

I would have bought one a long time ago if there was a pre-made option. I just cant make sense of what I need to buy, and then what I need to do with the parts that I buy.

I would have bought one a long time ago if there was a pre-made option. I just cant make sense of what I need to buy, and then what I need to do with the parts that I buy
Most of us in the group have helped others build their units, just have to ask, however until the newer version comes out though nobody can build new ones. That's why my unit has been in the last 4 planes I've owned, I just remove it and reinstall it with a new AOA pitot tube in my next plane.

Last edited:
Count me in for the upcoming version.

If you fly long enough, and are willing to publicly admit that you’re susceptible to making mistakes, you’ll have stories as well.

Some years ago I took off in a strange airplane without removing the pitot cover (yeah, dumb). Realized it had an AOA system, so I did a stall to see how it worked, then went about my business. Later, back at the airport, the approach and landing was entirely comfortable.

I don’t know how the various systems out there work but after center punching a large grasshopper with the pitot probe AOA was also lost. I think most of the EFIS synthetic AOA displays require the pitot tube. This is not ideal and I would prefer a stand alone system. GPS is the best backup plus a feel for normal approach and landing attitude If you have a synthetic or derived AOA system. If you have a standalone like my RV6 had your golden.

I don’t know how the various systems out there work but after center punching a large grasshopper with the pitot probe AOA was also lost. I think most of the EFIS synthetic AOA displays require the pitot tube. This is not ideal and I would prefer a stand alone system. GPS is the best backup plus a feel for normal approach and landing attitude If you have a synthetic or derived AOA system. If you have a standalone like my RV6 had your golden.
The easy solution if this worries you is to use two pitot tubes - one for ASI, one for AoA. It would take some very bad luck to plug them both at the same time. But I can list numerous available AoA systems that don’t use the same pitot tube or AoA source as the ASI … and you can always use the pop rivet AoA port on the leading edge if you are on a real budget. So yes - just like our single engine, single prop, single throttle cable, most folks are flying around with a zero-fault-tolerant AoA system.

It is important to realize than NONE of the AoA proponents are saying that pilots don’t need to learn how to fly, how to fly by feel, or how to fly without an AoA system. What we’re saying is that having an AoA system (especially one with audio) gives you more margin, especially when you are distracted by other things. While we’d like to think that every pilot has perfect aircraft feel and will recognize when they are getting close to the edge, over a century of fixed-wing powered flight tells us that just isn’t true. You know what they say about doing the same thing the same way over and over again and expecting different results….so let’s look for something new!

Paul

IMG_3361.jpg

There is still a possibility that two suicidal bugs in route formation could take 'em both out...

Aerodynamics (thus AOA performance) occur when the tubes are in the same flow field :). There is an art to sensor placement when the objective is accurate performance and transient response. I had to fly a vibration test last week with the system disconnected. As a proud tone cripple (hate to fly without it) it was horrific to actually have to look at the airspeed indicator...survived. Barely.

We have a brand new hardware design ready to go. Unfortunately, the CPU in our previous hardware succumbed to COVID. The new hardware is based on an ESP32 engine using RTOS (real-time operating system). The bad news is we have to re-write software to accommodate the new configuration. Lenny designed a clever manifold that replaces all of the previous brass plumbing. Performance should improve slightly with the increase in compute and RTOS, but we won't know until we test it. And we won't run out of suitable grounds.

IMG_0869.JPG

Terry and I had the pleasure of presenting the project at the 53d European Society of Experimental Test Pilots Symposium last week where we managed to punch above our weight class and were awarded best paper out of 22 projects presented. We preceded "F-35 - Ultra Beast Mode" on the schedule by displaying the mighty RV-4 in full "Ultra Tone Mode":

I just re-cut this video and added a full energy display for some academic work to support Oshkosh, so you can see airspeed and g during maneuvering at a (relatively) constant on speed condition. Pretty caveman simple, you takeoff on speed, you approach on speed and you (mostly) "max perform" maneuver on speed. The Royal Navy hit it out of the park when they developed an aural AOA cue back in the Stone Age.

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited:
Terry and I had the pleasure of presenting the project at the 53d European Society of Experimental Test Pilots Symposium last week where we managed to punch above our weight class and were awarded best paper out of 22 projects presented. We preceded "F-35 - Ultra Beast Mode" on the schedule by displaying the mighty RV-4 in full "Ultra Tone Mode":

Vac
Wow, that's excellent! Congrats on the award!

“…As a proud tone cripple (hate to fly without it) it was horrific to actually have to look at the airspeed indicator...survived...”

I know this was TIC but it does illustrate a potential problem. You really shouldn’t put all your eggs in one basket; stick and rudder skills are perishable and if you start relying on just one instrument, you will undoubtably affect those skills when the instrument is not available.

This happens at all levels. I remember a flight where the audio for the radar altimeter was disabled due to an inflight maintenance problem. This disabled the 50, 40, 30… countdown. Let’s just say that the landing was…firm. Point is, hearing the countdown over and over and trusting it caused a loss of SA during landing when it was not available.

Fly safe!

I realize I'm not as experienced as many on this forum. But angle of attack is not necessarily joined at the hip with air speed. As we learned in our basic pilot training, you can stall a plane at any attitude and any airspeed. Zero airspeed does not mean your past the angle of attack or stalled. I look at an AOA indicator as similar to a slip/skid indicator. I can fly without either but it sure helps to have them.

Do you need a AOA? No. But you might want one for several reasons…
Critical angle of attack can come on a whole lot faster a more unexpected than a slip or skid.
Center of gravity can significantly change how you perceive when angle of attack will be exceeded. Load a plane down and watch a pilot with hundreds of hours in that exact aircraft stall it on landing.
When most pilots see the ground coming up fast, they instinctively pull. That might be the exact wrong thing to do. AOA indicator would let you know.