Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
What's your record for go-arounds? I made two the other day:

One due to a lack of mental preparedness to deal with a gusty x-wind that came up quickly.

A second because of spacing problems I had because of a Cessna fighting the same X-wind down 4,000' of a 5,700' runway before going around...

I think these are my first go-arounds since my fly-off period 4.5 years ago.

One of my not-so-smart PIC decisions

I remember doing 3 go-arounds near Discovery Bay due to an occupied runway (they were having some sort of trouble getting a glider off) and a seriously nasty crosswind. The wind was so bad that I had to stop taxing once and rest for a minute because my calves were starting to kill me (stupid thing only had heel brakes....if you've ever tried to taxi a tail dragger with heal brakes in a super nasty crosswind, you know what I mean).

I retrospect, I should have waited for the glider to move, or diverted. I guess that's why they say the first 200 hours are the most dangerous...you don't know what you don't know yet.

Last year in my 7A I did a go around coming into our little grass strip (1700 ft). I was just a tad hot as I was still getting used to the plane during my fly-off.

Roberta :rolleyes:

robertahegy said:
Last year in my 7A I did a go around coming into our little grass strip (1700 ft). I was just a tad hot as I was still getting used to the plane during my fly-off. Roberta :rolleyes:
Ditto. The only go-around I've experienced in "Darla" so far was the first landing following her maiden flight. Maybe I'm lucky because I've yet to do go-arounds for real except on a few rare occasions when the runway was not cleared in a timely manner. Example: after taking the active, the pilot decided to do his run-up on the numbers. Another: a plane landed short then did a slow taxi to the last exit on a 4000' runway. However, flying Darla for the very first time and experiencing the dry mouth, sense of fear, awe, and exhilaration all at the same time, and after lining up to land, I made a conscious effort to say to myself out loud.....IF YOU HAVE TO GO AROUND...GO AROUND! Like Roberta, I was coming in hot and thought it best to try again. :rolleyes:

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

A couple of times a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. I must be a crummy pilot.:D Usually it is dead calm conditions and I get in the wake :eek: of lead and it's usually best to go around than fight the wake. Fun too! Sometimes the controller thinks I can manage to slow down behind the cub, NOT. Then he issues frantic go- around and me thinks there is lots of room but I understand his need for 3000' spacing on the runway.

Go-arounds, aborted landings whatever, they are good practice.

Gary

Landing fees

Here we pay per landing. A touch and go counts as a landing, a go-around does not. I guess you can see why I have a lot of go-arounds under my belt! ;)

Last edited:
Once a month at least ...

due to deer on the field mostly. Although one time it was a fellow pilot just sauntering across the approach end without checking for any approaching aircraft on final.

rv8ch said:
Here we pay per landing. A touch and go counts as a landing, a go-around does not. I guess you can see why I have a lot of go-arounds under my belt! ;)

Just curious how this works, Mickey. Does the airport just log your tail number and send you a bill every month? What if you're at a non-towered airport? Do you have non-towered airports?

Never thought to keep track....

At my current airport, with one paved runway, and one grass parallel, plus opertions from students to banner-towers to just plain cowboys, you just do whatever you need to do to stay safe! And while that might sound like I'm blaming others, in most cases, a go-around reflects poor planning on my part...you usually can tell by listening to the radio if the guy in front of you needs more room...or the dropped banner is going to drift across both runways!

My best go-around story, however, was from years back in one of our Shuttle simulators. As you probably know, we have no go-around capability in the Shuttle - it's a big, heavy glider on landing. However, simulators are just mathematical models....Years ago, late at night a conversation ensued over how much thrust it would take to keep an Orbiter in level flight. Cocktail-napkin scribbling began...a number was agreed upon, and said number was entered into the model as a "negative speedbrake". We strapped into the bird and all had a good time flying out of the flare and touring around the (simulated) Kennedy Space Center at low level.....3:00 am simulator time - gotta love it! ;)

Paul

Cal-Tech Knows When I Land

My go-arounds in the -7 are much more entertaining than your garden variety, you-can-see-it-coming go-around (that happen several times a year in cramped SoCal). Usually it's after a biblical style smiting of the earth, pranging 10 feet into the air, then powering up and away is the only life sustaining option. The RV makes it real easy; nose level, shove the black knob and retract the flaps. The next attempt always has witnesses lining the runway, and, invariably, my wife is aboard.

On a less serious note, I'm a real wimp about salvaging a landing; I don't like it, I go around. Not from approach, that's usually fine, but after botching touchdown, maybe 1 out of 50.

John Siebold

Landing fees

Jamie said:
Just curious how this works, Mickey. Does the airport just log your tail number and send you a bill every month? What if you're at a non-towered airport? Do you have non-towered airports?
Almost every airport is independently owned and operated, so they can have different rules.

At most airfields, there are people "working" there who collect the fees if you are visiting. At the really small strips, there are envelopes where you write down your details and drop in the fee in a mailbox, honor system style.

If you are based at an airfield, you typically write down the number of landings for the month and they send you a bill. Again, honor system.

It's not really a lot of money, but annoying just the same. A buddy that has his RV4 based at a small airfield pays about 6 dollars per landing. That's the cheapest I've heard of here. When I fly our club's Cherokee, the fees are around 13 dollars per landing. If I change to the club's Arrow II or Dakota, then we're up to about 22 dollars per landing. The Cherokee is 990 kg MTOW and the others are just over 1000 kg MTOW, which is why there is a difference. Another guy I know has a Pilatus PC-12, and he pays about 120 dollars per landing!

Many airfields also add on a noise penalty, if your aircraft is over a certain complexly calculated and measured value. Each aircraft has a "noise certificate" which shows the results of the official measurement. If you don't have this, then it is assumed that you are pumping out the maximum possible noise - the same as a Harrier, for example. Then the landing fees really go up. If your aircraft is very quiet, the noise penalty is zero.

If I want to practice touch and goes, I actually fly about 30 miles to an airfield in France that does not have landing fees. France is one of the most GA friendly countries in Europe. Switzerland is not bad, just expensive. It's a good thing that everyone here is rich! :D

One cool thing about Switzerland is that there is no class A ceiling, so theoretically you could fly VFR into space. To give you a contrasting view, most of Italy is class A over 1000 feet!!! That is not a typo!

Practice

The first time I took my wife up after getting my license, she learned what a go-around was. It was a busy day with lots of radio taffic at my primary, tower controlled airport (KSCK). I was cleared to land while I was on left downwind. As I turned on to final, I heard the tower clear a Cessna for takeoff on my runway. I thought that was a little close, so I lowered the flaps another notch to slow down a bit. On short final, I heard the controller clear the another Cessna waiting for takeoff. I keyed the mike and immediately got stepped on. As the second Cessna taxied out and began his takeoff, I began a go-around. I slid over to the left, because there was a larger parallel runway on the right.
Just as I established a positive rate of climb I heard, "CESSNA ON SHORT FINAL GO-AROUND, GO-AROUND!" The controller then told the Cessna on takeoff, "NO TURNS, NO TURNS! MAINTAIN RUNWAY HEADING! I'LL CALL YOUR TURN!"
The controller then told me to turn left immediately. I was at about 250 feet. After landing, the controller who had originally cleared me switched to ground frequency and apologized. He was a basket case. He said he forgot about me completely after clearing me to land.
Lessons learned:
1 - "Cleared to Land" actually means, "I'm clearing you, Mister Pilot-in-Command, to make the approach we agreed upon toward the runway and land if YOU decide it's OK to do so."
2 - "Cleared to Takeoff" means, "I'm clearing YOU to look out your windows and check for traffic, especially near both approach end(s) of the runway, and then take-off if you decide it's safe to do so."
3 - Controllers make mistakes just like pilots do.
4 - Practice go-arounds are a good idea. This happened to me 25 years ago and I still practice go-arounds in various configurations and from various positions to this day.

RV7ator said:
I'm a real wimp about salvaging a landing; I don't like it, I go around.

Good advice here!

I was fighting a pretty stiff crosswind in the Citabria earlier this year. It took me about 3 abortions in order to feel comfortable in settling it to earth.

That is my personal high score.

:rolleyes: CJ

jsherblon said:
He said he forgot about me completely after clearing me to land.
Good Lord, how on earth can you forget about someone you've cleared to land. I'm not a controller but do they look out the window or anything? I get the whole "it's the pilot's responsibility" to see and avoid, but good grief, shouldn't someone encourage this person to think about another line of work. They forget, we die.

See and avoid

I can remember three fatal midair collisions in the Chicago area alone that occurred at tower airports. Oshkosh Wisconsin; pilot and grandaughter in cessna run over while on short final in early nineties. Meigs Field a young lady pilot taking 3 friends for a ride collided with a Bonanza; 7 fatalities in this one which was witnessed by hundreds of people at the beach in the late 1990's. And a couple of years ago a popular radio personality in a Ziln aerobatic plane ran over a student at Waukegan Illinois. He misstated his position by 3 miles or so. 3 fatalities in this one. My point is that see and avoid doesn't end in a control tower airport environment. The controller is only human and besides, pilots make navigational errors resulting in the controller without radar not even knowing they are there should they blunder into his airspace.

Controller mistakes

He said he forgot about me completely after clearing me to land.

Maybe I should have logged that last portion of the aborted landing as formation flight.

JimWoo50 said:
My point is that see and avoid doesn't end in a control tower airport environment. The controller is only human and besides, pilots make navigational errors resulting in the controller without radar not even knowing they are there should they blunder into his airspace.
Right. I acknowledged the responsibility to see and avoid, and it's true that controllers are only human, but that doesn't excuse the responsibility to be competent.

If, in fact, the controller "forgot" about an aircraft on final while turning his attention to aircraft on the ground, I would think that's a controller in need of some remedial training, just as pilots who demonstrate such needs, are required often by the FAA to get remedial training when they have demonstrated an inability to fly to standards.

Neither makes the person involved a bad person and I'm sure this controller may even be a fine controller. But it sure doesn't appear he/she was on this particular day and I think pilots should expect a minimum level of competence from a controller, their own responsibilities notwithstanding.

Controllers have a difficult job; I agree. They don't always have the right equipment in the environment and work under tremendous strength. I admire them. But if you "forget" that there's a guy on short final, no amount of equipment will help.

A plane on final is much more important than a plane waiting to take off and I can think of no scenario in which misplaced priorities in the cockpit or in the tower is acceptable.

No question that mistakes happen and people are only human, but we have an obligation to minimize the chain of failures that often leads to our deaths. I can only hope that the controller in this case realized how it came to be that his attention was diverted from his priority and has determined how not to let it happen again, just as I have when I've done boneheaded things while in the landing environment that threatened the safety of me and others.

I'm so glad Jimbo is here to tell the story and he is obviously a fine example of WHY pilots need to pay attention and not fall into a false security blanket of being someone else's responsibility. I'm safer just for having been reminded.

Last edited:
see and avoid

I think your idea of having controllers take remedial training when they commit errors that endanger us is a good one and I would like to see it implemented. I also think every tower should have radar so the controllers would be able to see all their traffic and not have to rely on pilot positions reports like the incident in Waukegan IL. illustrates. After all we were pretty much forced to install transponders why can't the feds maximize their utility by providing all towers with radar or at least a link up as they have at some airports.

JimWoo50 said:
I think your idea of having controllers take remedial training when they commit errors that endanger us is a good one and I would like to see it implemented.
I believe, actually, it is although I'm not positive. We had a situation in St. Paul downtown a few years ago. A woman ferrying blood supplies and was inboard. Apparently she misidentified her location when inboard and was told to enter left traffic downwind for Rwy 12(now Rwy 13). At the same time, a flight instructor in a 172 with his student was right downwind for Rwy 14.

Now, you have to see just how stupid the configuration of the St. paul downtown airport is.

Meanwhile, there was a break or shift change and the controller handed off to an incoming controller and gave her a briefing on who was where. St. Paul has radar, but it's right on the Mississippi River and there are large bluffs along the Mississippi that the radar can't penetrate certainly.

A few minutes later, the new controller put a plane on Rwy12 in "positionand hold" and then the woman called in she was on left base for 12.

"You're where?' the controller asked.

Too late. The, 172 was on right base for Rwy 14. And as you can see, you can't have two planes both on base for two runways at once in St. Paul. They collided and four people died.

The pilots certainly didn't execute see-and-avoid very well. But the controllers, I believe, were given remedial on proper hand-off and briefings as they were cited as a contributing factor.

go arounds

OK, my confessions on go arounds.........

We were on our first leg of the trip to Land of Enchantment this year, left our homebase and had flown 2 hours and it was getting dark and weather was hazy. Set up for the approach and the plane just did not feel right, was very pitch sensitive, ended up in the wrong attitude on close final and didn't like it so I went around. Set up for the second attempt and same thing, went around again. Third attempt kept the airspeed up higher than I normally do and flew it on faster than normal.

I have an RV-6, this was our first long cross country in the 6. When I did the weight and balance I figured with my wife and I and full fuel ( 180 lbs + 130 lbs + 230 lbs) we are at gross weight (1610 lbs). We had approximately 70 to 75 pounds of baggage (we weighed everything before we loaded). Even though we were 80 lbs over gross I had no worries that the plane couldn't handle it. What I had never experienced before was landing with an aft cg situation. What I eventually realized after fighting the plane was that as the fuel burned off we were getting further aft on the cg and the handling was way different than I usually encounter with this plane. I mentally compensated and the next day I made a point not to go more than 2 hours between fuel stops and was mentally prepared, however on the landing for our first fuel stop there was a significant cross wind thrown in for good measure and I ended up doing another go around. I was starting to think that this was really not a good idea. Our first fuel stop that day was in Litchfield Illinois and I ran into a local Rv6 flyer and we discussed the situation. My plane has an O-320 160hp and a fixed pitch sensiniche prop. We decided that if I had the constant speed prop and a 180hp engine things would be better. Not being able to effect either of these changes at that moment I decided we need to get to town and get some tupperware and move the tools to the spot ahead of the spar(aft of the battery box) between us. This helped a lot.......made the rest of the stops that day single attempt landings. When we got New Mexico Friday, we decided that on Saturday we would find a UPS store and ship home anything we absolutely did not need. We shipped 34 pounds of stuff home. I left the tools ahead of the wing spar ( and in fact still fly with them there), and the rest of the flying during that trip was very pleasurable and uneventful.

Lesson learned...........really really watch the cg, even though I had no problem with the over gross capabilities of this plane the cg is very important. I don't feel we were in danger of crashing, I just was not pleased with how the plane felt on landing, the pitch sensitivity was very disconcerting. It felt like I was standing on a ball trying to maintain the balance.

Jim
RV-6 flying (purchased)
RV-8 wings (still)

see and avoid

In the Waukegan incident that I mentioned in a previous post the feds found that the pilot of the low wing Ziln couldn't have seen the Cessna ahead of him which he eventually ran over. That limitation in the see and avoid dictum and the fact that the control tower did'nt have radar was a recipe for disaster. The Ziln pilot, a local radio personality named Bob Collins, was found to be at fault because of his erroneous position report. The controller was skewered in the media though immediately after the wreck. My point being that controllers are human and quite often they are operating with equipment that is less than adequate and within a system (see and avoid) that is far from perfect. I have found that the best defense is to listen to the radio and be situationally aware of what the other guys in the airspace are doing.

JimWoo50 said:
a local radio personality named Bob Collins,
I have the same name, am also in the radio business, and live in the upper Midwest. It's amazing how many calls I got that day from people checking to see if it was me. Irf it was, I'm not sure why people expected me to answer the phone.

Bob Collins said:
A few minutes later, the new controller put a plane on Rwy12 in "positionand hold" and then the woman called in she was on left base for 12.

"You're where?' the controller asked.

For those of you that don't fly at controlled airports do head the warnings about controllers making mistakes. Obiviously they do AND you should expect them to, just like they expect us to make mistakes.

I fly out of KPAE which has lots of GA, some corp and of course a Boeing factory (and the occasional ME262). One day I was cleared to land while on downwind for 16L and heard a Pilatus make an inbound call on the ILS about 10mi out. I was not given a traffic warning for him and he wasn't given one for me (e.g. follow experimental in the pattern). I when I turned final I looked for him but did not see him, but figured I was OK. After lining up and getting all squared away, the corner of my eye caught the Pilatus 100ft or closer to me (not close by formation standards but close). I called tower and called the pilatus traffic below me and went around...

I had a long talk with the controllers the next day and they apologized that they missed the traffic separation, but my takeaway was that I need to make the call on final that I never saw the inbound traffic that was a potential for being in my airspace.

Chuck

I?m a student ?and I?ve stopped my lessons, until I can really afford it, so please take this as hearsay. I thought for VFR pilots the tower controller (w or w/o radar) only provides sequencing in the pattern, not separation. They?re only responsible for separation on the runway itself. I?m not trying to lessen their roll in any given incident?just wanted to emphasize the pilot?s role in maintaining separation. I'll have to look that up...

Danny
CZBB

Chuck, we posted at the same time...so I missed your post :)

Last edited:
dmaher said:
I thought for VFR pilots the tower controller (w or w/o radar) only provides sequencing in the pattern, not separation.

That is true. In my case I was cleared to land (#1 in sequence) and a pretty large plane passed me on about a 1.5mi final (I tend to fly way over the GS). The point is that situational awareness needs to high. In my case the Pilatus must have been in a hurry and flying much faster than normal and though I gave a cursory look I should have made the call so he and the controller knew I had no-tally that late in the game.

Chuck

PS Don't quit working on your license if at all possible, or drive down to Blaine/Bellingham where it's likely cheaper. I regret not flying more before I got married and had kids... what was I thinking working 80hrs a week!

Confession time

Guess I can chime in with an example.......

This occured while I was taking flying lessons. I had just soloed and was turned loose to practice. I had been flying a C172 owned by an FBO at my local airport up to and including my solo. Unfortunately, the owner of the FBO was killed in a helicopter crash and the FBO subsequently closed.

My CFI was a local resident, so we continued my training by renting a C172 from another airfield. The C172 I started my training in had a flap switch that was self-centering. Press it down, count for 3 seconds and release it and the flap stops deploying.

In the C172 we started renting after solo, the flap switch was not self-centering. You had to manually return it to its "neutral" position.

So there I was, entering the pattern for my first landing flying this particular C172 solo. I thought I was real hot stuff....flying around, doing whatever I wanted and no instructor watching. Throttled back and dumped in 10 degrees of flap on the downwind. Turned left base and dumped in another 10 degrees. Lined it up on final and put in another 10 degrees for a total of 30 degrees of flaps.

As I was getting closer to the threshold, I noticed that the airplane just didn't feel right. What the heck is going on?

A quick glance out the window revealed that my flaps were completely retracted! Each time I had hit the flap switch, I had assumed that I had centered it back to neutral. What I had actually been doing is going past neutral and retracting the flap.

OK knucklehead....go around!!!

One would think that with that little fiasco I would have learned my lesson. BUT NOOOOOO!!! I'll be darned if I came around and did the same danged thing!!!

Now I am starting to get a bit rattled. I had a total of 12 hours under my belt and here I was srewing up bigtime. So I enterred the pattern again, really concentrating on those flaps. I managed to get them extended properly (and had them remain so), but since I was so fixated on them, I was not watching my approach speeds. As a result, when I flaired, I ballooned up. Oh crap! Settled down and flaired again. Ballooned again!!!

By this time I was getting quite cognisant of the fact that the runway was getting shorter and shorter.

I finally got my doodoo together and made one of the nicest crosswind touchdowns I have ever done. After that, I decided that I had enough excitement for the day and put the plane to bed.

One of those "I learned about flying from that" episodes.

Regards,

OK, my turn.

I'd love to tell you this happened many years ago during my flight training. Unfortunately, it didn't. It happened about 3 years ago.

My son and I flew from Flying Clud (Minneapolis) to Sleepy Eye, Minn (great turf runway) and hitched a ride into town. He was working on a school project that required him to interview people in a small town. We had fun and met a few nice folks and then headed back to the airport. We hitch-hiked but forget what you hear about kind folks in Minnesota -- they're no different than anywhere else -- no better, no worse -- so nobody picked us up. As we headed down the highway, we couldn't determine for sure we were on the right road.

But a couple of miles later, we spied the giant manure lagoon at the end of the runway (good motivation for a solid pre-flight) and got over to the airport. But we were tired.

We headed back to Minneapolis, about 40 minutes away. I called 10 miles out and the controller -- Flying Cloud controllers are REALLY good -- who told me to report 2.5 out. I reported 2.5 miles out, to which he replied "you're actually 5 miles out."

"I gotta get a GPS," I said.

"I gotta win a million dollars," he responded, as he cleared me to lane on runway 27 left, telling me fly left traffic. I read back the instructions.

I entered the pattern, made my left turn, flew a beautiful downwind, then a base and was on final, paying attention to the controller's call, clearing a plane to take-off on 27 left and told to turn right after take-off. I was lined up for the left side runway so I began to look for the ground traffic.

A few moments later, I heard the radio call from the pilot to the tower, "there's a guy in the pattern right in front of us," and almost simulataneously realized that I was not on final for RWY 27L, I was on final for RWY 9L. I had not flown left traffic, I had turned LEFT into the pattern and was flying right traffic. I was on final for the runway, from the opposite direction, and another plane was heading for me.

I immediately retracted flaps, hit the throttle, climbed and turned left as the controller shouted for me to fly a right downwind for 27 right and instructed the other plane to maintain runway heading.

It was now very quiet in the plane and very quite on the radio and it stayed that way until landing when the controller, without comment, advised me to turn on Taxiway Alpha and proceed "this frequency to Thunderbird" (the FBO). I waited for the instruction to call the tower. But it never came.

I thanked him, apologized, and headed for the ramp, shut down the plane and sat there with me son in silence. Both of us stared straight ahead for a minute or so until I said "well.... that sucked."

"yeah," he said.

And he's never flown with me again.

go arounds

Bob Collins said:
And he's never flown with me again.
I don't blame him! :D Just kidding.

Another thing to watch out for is glider traffic. Many of those guys don't have radios, or don't know how to use them, or don't like to use them, or their battery ran out so you can't hear them. So, they often just land wherever and whenever they feel like it. I've been cleared to take off, and during my final check to make sure the approach sectors are clear, see a big hunk of plastic coming right down onto my runway.

Obviously this can happen when landing, too.

I should add that whenever I get a clearance now regarding entering a traffic pattern (right/left etc). I make it a point to physically point in the direction I'm SUPPOSED to go, just so my brain is forced to think about it. And when I have a runway assignment, I take my finger, put it down in front of the DG, line it up with the assigned runway heading, and then look back out the window to compare my finger's orientation with the airport.

Probably a stupid thing, but one thing the little wrong direction thing reminded me of, is how incredibly easy it is to kill yourself.

Maybe I should chime in with the time I didn't go around. I've done go-arounds so many times in the last few years I couldn't even count'um (for training mostly).

But this one particular night, right after a friend got his CFI, a bunch of us decided we were going to fly up to Riverside to celebrate his pass. He needed to take the Cutless he took his checkride in back to Cableair, so we all agreed to meet at cable and fly from there. I was flying the Cardinal, and another CFI friend was flying her private 182. I was the last one landing at CCB that night, and wasn't paying as much attention to the landing as I should have been.

As I turned final I was a bit low, so I pitched it up a bit, but didn't add the power since it wasn't that significant a change. I didn't really keep to my short final airspeed, and the wind was just tricky enough that when I flared, I floated down the runway. Those of you that know CCB, know that if you float, the runway is actually dropping out from under you. So there I was, rapidly losing airspeed, about 40 feet over the runway, and I decided instead of going around, to try to salvage it. I popped in a couple hundred extra RPM, and was just going to let it sink on, when I got a nasty little crosswind which evaported all lift from my left wing. I bounced it off the left main, got it squared up back in the air, and came down hard on both mains, which proceded to slam the nose into the ground.

Immedeate inspections proved nothing of note in damage. But when I went to change the oil, I noticed a couple of cracks on the nose-strut to firewall support. $700 in parts later...

I no longer have any hestiation in going around if something doesn't feel right!

Good thread! My most memorable go-around was during initial cross country training. We were landing at a popular uncontrolled field, keeping an eye out, calling downwind, base and final on unicom, and everything's cool. We're maybe 100' AGL, floating in in a C-150 when we hear "uh, one of the two planes on final for XXX should go-around".
Well that straightened my instructor and I right up! We knew nothing was in front of us, and we were practically on the ground! We both practically snapped our necks turning to look out the rear window to find a twin Beech right on line for us. Not standing on principle regards right of way, we peeled off, and the twin landed as if we'd never been there.
Almost a very, very bad - and probably final - scene. We never saw the twin, and are you-saved-my-life grateful that someone saw the developing situation and spoke up.

N674P said:
Almost a very, very bad - and probably final - scene. We never saw the twin, and are you-saved-my-life grateful that someone saw the developing situation and spoke up.
Was there any ensuing "discussion" with the other guy? I was landing in Mankato one time when a guy landed on the cross-wind runway, so I went around. The guy was walking into the FBO and said "sorry about that. I guess I should've turned the music off when landing."

Ugh.

No discussion. My instructor and I just kinda shuddered and shook it off, and iirc (over 30 years later), we just went on to the next airport on the itinerary. No talk to the twin making lord knows what kind of oblivious and deaf approach, and no proper thank you to the guy that saved our bacon.