Steve Brown

Well Known Member
I've read some of the threads on connecting these, but I have some specific questions. I guess the answers may relate to 396, 396, 196 as well:

Do instrument approach or departure way points show up on the 496?

Does the 496 HSI do what it should based on the 430 status? For example, if flying vectors to intercept an approach course does the HSI have the correct obs setting? Likewise if you "activate leg" on the 430 does the 496 show the correct representation? How about the CDI scaling?

Is there a way to get the vor/localizer cdi/glideslope info from the 430 to the 496? This is wishful thinking I know.

Obviously I want to use the 496 as an HSI for the 430. The moving map, weather, and airport info are indispensable in the cockpit so it has to stay.

What I really want is a GNS480 since it has an integral HSI, but so far I'm afraid to spend the money on discontinued equipment.

I might be wrong but I think the 430 will download the flightplan to the 496 that is it.

The 496 HSI is just acting on the data from the 496 GPS and its (the 496's) flightplan.

The 496 is not a substitute for a real HSI for the 430.

But....

The 496 HSI is just acting on the data from the 496 GPS and its (the 496's) flightplan......

When flying an approach, the 430 puts the approach way points into the flight plan. I'm wondering is that gets to the 496 the same as the rest of the plan.

When flying an approach, the 430 puts the approach way points into the flight plan. I'm wondering is that gets to the 496 the same as the rest of the plan.

Yes, all the waypoints in the 430's flight plan will appear on the 496/696. But, since the handheld units don't support fancy things like DME arcs, holding patterns, and other types of curved flight path legs, the actual shape of the flight plan can differ (which is why you should use your certified IFR GPS when flying IFR, and use the handheld GPS for situational awareness).

mcb