rs14

I am looking to put a GNS 430 in my RV6A. Is there a source for the different models and revisions? I am also potentially looking for a non-WAAS unit, do I really care if it is WAAS? I intend to use it to build IFR time. I currently have steam gauges, but I will put in a Dynon EFIS at the same time.

If you plan to do IFR, you will want the WAAS version. It seems to be cheaper to find one with WAAS rather than getting a standard 430 and having it upgraded. If you already have a nav/com, you can go with a 400w and save some $$. However, I haven't seen a lot of deals lately. Garmin has the market cornered on the WAAS units and so the prices haven't fallen much.

I saw a 430w sell here for $5000.00 within the past year but it took about 30 seconds to sell. I know because I replied after 60 seconds and it was already sold and one person commented that they replied after 45 seconds. I have since gave up on the 430W and saving my pennies for a 400W. Maybe one day when my ship is sailing, I'll get lucky and find a waas unit.

Good luck on your search and hope you find a great deal!
cj

I saw a 430w sell here for $5000.00 within the past year but it took about 30 seconds to sell. I know because I replied after 60 seconds and it was already sold and one person commented that they replied after 45 seconds. I have since gave up on the 430W and saving my pennies for a 400W. Maybe one day when my ship is sailing, I'll get lucky and find a waas unit.

Good luck on your search and hope you find a great deal!
cj

It was me that got that 430w! Great buy indeed. Keep looking, once the IFD's hit the market I suspect there will be some 430w's on the used market pushing their price down some.

To answer the OP's question:
I think the earliest models were voltage specific, e.g., a 28 volt model would not work in a 12 volt plane. Later models don't care, they take anything 12 to 28 volts. Other than that it's mostly software upgrades.
I'm not sure that service is still available on the oldest units. Check with Garmin.
Like the others said, there's a lot to be said for the "W" models. It gets you precision approaches; ability to file to destinations with alternates that have only RNAV (GPS) approaches; and the potential for using it as the required position source for ADSB. If you go the non-W route you should expect to get a very substantial discount over theW, inho.
Either way, the EFIS is a good route. It will save you $2K (new) right off the top because you won't need to buy Garmin's CDI.

Thanks for the feedback. The price of the 430s seem to be all over the board, not sure why.

BTW, this RV6 is a great airplane. I should have moved to one of these a long time ago!!

The price of the 430s seem to be all over the board, not sure why.

You got that right! I've seen non-waas units with asking prices anywhere from $2000 (sold very quickly) to $6000 (still for sale).

Waas units seem to be selling for around $6k from private sales. Since the upgrade from non-waas to waas is over $3k, I would expect a reasonable selling price for a non-waas 430 to be somewhere in the ballpark of $3000-$3500.

If all you need is a non-precision approach rated GPS, you might look at some older units like the Apollo GX-50, KLN-89b, KLN-94, etc. I've seen a bunch of these in the $500-$1000 range.

-Dj

I am trying to get my RV6 to IFR, as I want to build time toward an IFR rating. I currently have a 300XL, but to IFR certified the airplane has to have a VOR (or other nav equipment). My current plan is to put in a 430, and a second comm, and sell the 300XL. I will also put in a Dynon screen, probably a D100, for the required CDI. The other option is put in an SL30, but they are getting very hard to find, and there price is ridiculous.

You are correct, you cannot legally file ifr as now equipped. But as long as you stay vfr you could begin training, under the hood. I think once you get half way thru you yourself will have a much better idea of what equipment you want. Ask yourself: What do I need to get home? That will happen more than anything else. If there are only gps approaches at your home airport, and weather frequently dictates an LPV approach, then you will want the "W" model. OTOH if your home airport has a good ILS, or seldom has low weather, then a "non-W" 430 with its nav/com may be what you need.

Garmin 430's

This is what I have heard and read. If you have a 430 and it has a problem, no support, except to modify to a 430W ($3600 appox). If you say "Garmin, that is too much money to fix, i'll use it as is" they take the serial number off the unit, send it back, will not allow a upgrade again.

Is this true?