h&jeuropa

Well Known Member
I notice the 430 install manual shows connections for a intercom that is built into the 430. (see Fig 4-20, Audio Panel Interconnect). Has anyone used this feature? Does it have voice control or is it strictly manual?

Any help appreciated.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS
N241BW

I notice the 430 install manual shows connections for a intercom that is built into the 430. (see Fig 4-20, Audio Panel Interconnect). Has anyone used this feature? Does it have voice control or is it strictly manual?

Any help appreciated.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS
N241BW

It's mainly there for emergency use and should not be considered at all in your installation. Look closely at the actual wiring and you'll see the answer. Put in an intercom or an audio panel and you'll be golden - compared to what the value of the 430 is in $$'s, the price of an intercom is very small in comparison.

BTW, which install manual version are you using, I'm unable to cross reference your figure with mine?

Cheers,
Stein

Stein,

It's a pretty old 430 manual, P/N 190-001 40-02 page 4-59, Rev K.

So what's the best way to go on intercom? It's going in a Tailwind and the panel space is pretty limited.

Thanks

Jim

Stein,

It's a pretty old 430 manual, P/N 190-001 40-02 page 4-59, Rev K.

So what's the best way to go on intercom? It's going in a Tailwind and the panel space is pretty limited.

Thanks

Jim

I truly mean this as sort of a chuckle and laugh...but we're talking about space for an intercom to put with a 430!?!? Intercoms are about the size of a deck of playing cards or two, while the 430 is almost the size of a shoe box! If you can fit the 430, then an intercom shouldn't be an issue... :D

Anyway, on a more serious note at a minimum I'd say something like a PM-3000 would be good. Also note that the manual you are using is over a decade (10+ years) out of date. I believe one of the latest revisions for that manual is Rev T dated 2010...which would be at least 8 years newer than the one you're using. Also, I assume you're working with a NON Waas box (because the manual you are using is for NON WAAS GNS430's).

Cheers,
Stein

Stein,

The manual was current back in 2002 when I installed my 430 in my Europa!

I'll suggest the PM3000 or maybe a PM1200 or PM500EX. I think vertical mounting like available on PM1200 might be a good solution.

The fuel tank of the Tailwind has actually been cutout to clear the 430 & 327!

Thanks for your help.

Jim

PM3000 definitely, especially if you want to enjoy stereo music thru it too.

I put one in my RV-6 immediately after I bought the plane.

We put one in the RV-8 we finished in 2010 also.

Also had put one in my old Cherokee 140 half a decade ago.

It's a fantastic intercom, well worth the extra cost over the cheaper FlightComs, Sigtronics, etc. If you test the PM3000 side-by-side against those others, you'll see what I mean.

Stein,

The manual was current back in 2002 when I installed my 430 in my Europa!

I'll suggest the PM3000 or maybe a PM1200 or PM500EX. I think vertical mounting like available on PM1200 might be a good solution.

The fuel tank of the Tailwind has actually been cutout to clear the 430 & 327!

Thanks for your help.

Jim

The PM3000 can be mounted vertically or horizontally. The 5000EX would be an even better fit if you can find room, because it has inputs that make managing the NAV side of the radio easier, as well as extra inputs for other goodies (like engine monitor, XM radio, AOA, etc..)...and it's not terribly expensive either.

I understand about your date/time in regards to the manual, but if you've ever had the software updated in the unit, it'd be good to get an updated manual so that you have one that covers the updates your unit may have had. If you can't find one, drop me a note offline and we'll see if we can help you out.

Cheers,
Stein