jimevison

The GNS430 installation manual has a drawing of the mounting rack showing the D Sub connectors held in place with C shaped retainers. Part number 125-00045 for the larger and 125-00046 for the smaller D Subs. I want to avoid having to reach behind the panel and locate a locknut any time I have to remove one of these connectors. Can anyone point me to a source of these retainers or suggest an alternative?

I am no expert but I believe the c shaped retainers you describe are threaded. There would be no need for a lock nut behind them. You access the screw through the front of the tray preferably with a LONG screw driver.

I am no expert but I believe the c shaped retainers you describe are threaded. There would be no need for a lock nut behind them. You access the screw through the front of the tray preferably with a LONG screw driver.

You're right, they're threaded allowing the D Sub connector to be screwed in from the front of the rack. I've not been able to find them through my usual sources - Stein, Mouser, McMaster etc. Any ideas on where to locate these would be appreciated.

You're right, they're threaded allowing the D Sub connector to be screwed in from the front of the rack. I've not been able to find them through my usual sources - Stein, Mouser, McMaster etc. Any ideas on where to locate these would be appreciated.

They are made by Glenair and the only place I could locate them was the "Mouser equivalent" store in the UK

http://az.rsdelivers.com/catalogue/category/d-subminiature/3473.aspx?range=309

However I'm sure they would be cheaper than Garmin's price....:)

Perhaps Stein could stock them?

GNS 430 Installation

My hat is off to Stein! These parts are not in their catalog but they found some in a drawer. These folks can always be relied on to go the extra mile.

Great customer service!

They are made by Glenair and the only place I could locate them was the "Mouser equivalent" store in the UK

http://az.rsdelivers.com/catalogue/category/d-subminiature/3473.aspx?range=309

However I'm sure they would be cheaper than Garmin's price....:)

Perhaps Stein could stock them?

Actually they are not. Those Glenair ones (while they may work) aren't close to the Garmin ones which are actually Garmin parts mfgr'd along with the backplate. I think they may work, but I've never tried those. If you wanted to fabricate something similar yourself, you could go buy a couple PEMserts and pound them into a piece of aluminum, but remember that clearances around the Dsub connectors in the Garming backplate are a little tight on a few of them.

Anyway, the Garmin ones also serve to capture the Backshell along with the Dsub and is threaded for the screw which is inserted into the tray. The Glenair ones may indeed work, but I can't recall ever using one. The new generation stuff has much nicer backshell/connector parts on it so if you're using a GTN or something this is moot.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Stein is right about the new Garmin connectors (G3X, etc)....now every time I have to do something with those antique tin can backshells on a 430, I start muttering about "Stone Knives and Bear Skins"......

Take a deep breath Paul :D
The Cinch brand "tin" backshells are probably similar vintage to the RV-1 :eek:

I had the same problem of a missing garmin custom nutplate. Tried to get one. Could not easily get it so I ORDERED (Yes, intentionlly ordered) a tin backshell from Allied and then scotchwelded a couple of 4-40 nylocs to it. Viola'. Works like the factory part. :rolleyes: