Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Hi,

Just getting into the 430, so forgive this if it's a basic question.

I'm plugging in the waypoints for the flight plan to Osh, and the 430 does not recognize C29, RIPON, FISKE or KOSH. I certainly can plug in the Lat/Long, and create "user waypoints" but these are established airports/intersections, are they not? Yes, the database is expired, but these waypoints have certainly been around a lot longer than the 430. What gives?:confused:

BTW, will it be possible to update the unit while at the big show?

Thanks

When it powers uo is it recognizing the data card? You can tell if it gives you a database date.If not, reseat the card.

When it powers uo is it recognizing the data card? You can tell if it gives you a database date.If not, reseat the card.

Yes, it gives a database version (Exp 08), does the self test, and recognizes the other airports I have plugged into the flight plan. Curious, but Madison has apparently changed identifiers in the last few years - it did not like the current "KMSN"... I found it as something else.

Data

Sounds like you have a "West/Central" coverage data card, everything west of the Mississippi River.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Bring your card to the Jeppesen tent at Airventure. They can update it there with the database you want.

I did mine there last year and will be doing it again this year.

You may need to be concerned with the size of your data card. I believe the full US database for the 430 (non-WAAS) now requires an 8 mb card. The west/central one I have fits on a 4 MB card.

-Rob

Consider upgrading to the Americas database. I have been to the Bahamas twice, the Cayman Islands and Mexico where it came in handy.