carl nank

Well Known Member
I purchased a Docking station so I can practice using my new GNS 430W unit while I am finishing my RV7-A.

Of course the GPS antenna's are not attached so I do not expect to get GPS information.

I have my Jepp and Terrain cards plugged in. While useing it, the unit will not pick up radio frequencies when I enter an airport location. I would think the Jepp data base would provide that information.

Does anybody have any experiance using a docking station that can help me with this problem?

GNS 430

Carl,

I'm not sure what you mean by "not pick up radio frequencies." I will assume that you mean show the frequencies for the selected airport. After you select the airport you need to go to the frequency page, 3 clicks right on the small right knob. This will show the frequencies for the selected airport. To move a frequency into the comm side, press the small right knob, a highlighted cursor will appear on the screen that can be moved by turning the large right knob. When you have selected the one you want, press "enter" and it will appear in the standby window of the comm.

A very handy way to train on the 430 is to download the free simulator on the Garmin website. Unlike the docking station, you can "fly" the simulator and see how the functions work in motion.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3528

There is a lot to learn about the 430/530 units. I suggest getting one of the training DVDs offered by Jeppesen or King.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Tin Haas helped me

I sent an Email to Tim Haas at Approach Fast Stack whom I purchased my avionics from. He was very helpful. Apparantly when the GNS-430W comes up, I need to push "enter" twice instead of once. I was pushing once and that puts it in Garmin demo mode.

Thanks Tim