Walt

Well Known Member
I'm not a 430 guru (don't have one in my plane) and I'm trying to verify VOR/ILS operation of the 430 itself before I start working on why it won't display on the Chelton.

So my question is this: it there some page on the GNS430W I can look at to see the VOR/LOC/GS indication? I want to confirm 430 is working correctly before I start tracking down the interface issue.

Hi Walt

I'm certainly not a 430 "guru" but have a lot of hours behind a pair.

If you're trying to verify reception, you can listen to the identifier through the audio panel, assuming it's set up.

As the 430 powers up and goes through its self test, it will send half deflection indications to whatever device you're using. You have to click through these tests to start using the box.

I would a assume if you don't see the needles during the self test there is a connection problem or an issue with the Chelton.

We had similar issues.

After I added the 430W and sent info to the Dynon 100, we couldn't get half deflection indications for LOC or GS and it was a programming error. The units weren't communicating so we went back, step by step and set both the D-100 and 430W as specified. Now all is well.

Best,

430 chelton/interface

Walt,
The 430 will not directly interface to the Chelton. I assume you have the IDU I series Chelton (experimental version). There is a way to make it work however. You will need to have or add a DAC GDC-34A convertor. This converts the ARINC 429 from the VOR/ILS output pins 23 and 24 of the 4006 connector on the 430. It converts the signal to RS-232 into the Chelton. If I remember correctly the self test page of the 430 only sends out the 1/2 left and 1/2 down on the analog and main 429 outputs. I don't believe the VOR/ILS 429 output will send out a test signal. If you tune the 430 to a local VOR or ILS and are within the reception area you can look at the Nav chapter page one and see the laterial deviation. Your looking to verify the nav radio is not flagged. If its working on the 430 then you have to verify the chelton is setup correctly. Are you trying to view the HSI on Chelton's dedicated HSI page or overlayed on the PFD page? To see it on the PFD you have to hit menu,function,manual,and verify HSI is check marked. Press enter then hit the OBS button and verify Nav1 is check marked. This is all assuming the connection are correct and the DAC converter is working. This is just off the top of my head, if you contuine to have issues feel free to give me a call at work on Monday. I've got all of the manuals and my notes there. I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Jason Smith
Aerotronics Inc.

Jason,
Thanks for all the info, that will be a tremendous help!

I fixed the miswired nav audio wires today so now I have an ID tone so I know I'm receiving the VOR signal. Using my TIC 30 I still could not drive a deviation on the 430 Nav page which is what I thought I should see like you indicated so not sure what's up there. From what I was reading in the 430 guide it would appear the nav indicator is tied to the GPS only? Turning the TIC box on or off does nothing to flags or indicators on the 430 nav page.

Also sounds like I need to make a few adjustments in the Chelton options which I will do Monday and see what happens. The DAC converter is installed but the owner says he has never had vor/ils/traffic on the Chelton (330 installed) so there may still be some wiring issues.

chelton interface

Walt,
I have a 430/330/DAC/Chelton specific wiring diagram on PDF on my computer at work. It showes the exact wiring interface and describes the setting needed to make them all play together. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll send it over. If you have any more questions feel free to give me a call at work. 406-259-5006.

Jason Smith

[ed. Now THAT is support from a forum advertiser! Thanks Jason! dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, DR.

When I aded my 430, Jason had a new center aluminum panel CNC cut from their records of building my panel....and wouldn't let me pay for it!

Great guys,

Walt,
I have a 430/330/DAC/Chelton specific wiring diagram on PDF on my computer at work. It showes the exact wiring interface and describes the setting needed to make them all play together. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll send it over. If you have any more questions feel free to give me a call at work. 406-259-5006.

Jason Smith

[ed. Now THAT is support from a forum advertiser! Thanks Jason! dr]

I do have the Chelton install manual showing the DAC wiring to the 430/330 but it's the magic settings needed for each unit that are not defined anywhere!

Thanks again Jason, I appreciate the help! I sent you an email as well.

Thanks for everyones input, especially Jason from Aerotronics who gave me the correct set up info!

After fixing the wiring problems and getting the configuration set, the 430 and chelton are finally talking to each other, everything is up and running. Sweet system I might add :D