panhandler1956

Well Known Member
My Garmin GNC300XL won't aquire satellites, any suggestions? I bought it as a yellow tagged reconditioned unit. Stein built a harness that allows it to talk to my AFS, but I have yet to get a signal. The comm side works great.

I'll have to check, not sure. Honestly, I need to get into the books a little more on this box- its not overly intuitive.

Check the coax and the antenna to make sure both are installed correctly. Nav data shouldn't cause that issue.

Cheers,
Stein

Not the database...

The nav database is out of date, not sure if Garmin booby trapped it to not work unless you pay their tax...

Mine is out of date at the moment and works fine... The original db was way out of date (years ago) and the unit worked fine.

Are you inside a building? Gps needs a clear view of the sky...

Inside my hangar with the door wide open the 300XL will not acquire a position even though the Dynon SV GPS does every time.

Thanks! I checked the connections on coax. Not sure about the antenna mounting - it's under the cowl on a metal shelf next to the 696 antenna. My 696 has no issues.

Get it outside and give it at least a half hour before you start doing serious troubleshooting. If it's a fresh ovh or updated 300XL, the first satellite capture could take a bit. Also make sure your antenna plate is grounded (and that the paint on the cowl isn't metallic), and that the coax cable isn't a short stubby piece that is only 2' long.

Cheers,
Stein