pat

Well Known Member
Im working on installing the NACA airvent in the wing. Plans say to adhere the scoop with rtv or proseal. I dont like the idea of rtv for longterm adhesive and I do have some firewhatever... (proseal) tank seal coming from vans. What have some of you used for this application?

RTV and .....

I'm building a -7A with a NACA vent on each side but I believe they're the same part. I used RTV but I also laid out 8 rivet holes in each, dimpled the skin, c'sunk the NACAs, applied the RTV and held them in place with clecoes with the vents backed up with 1/2" squares of .020" aluminum and used flush pulled rivets to permanently attach them.

I did the same as Hawk except I made a backing plate about 1/2 inch wide roughly the same shape as the vent edges. I then drilled and c/sunk for solid rivets. RTV to seal the gap. Actually, the plans I got with the vent call for this method I think.

Same results I would guess.

Rat

Soft Rivets

I basically did the same thing as Rat except I used dead soft rivets. In fact, I use soft rivets on most of the riveting that I do with fiberglass because they won't crack the glass (or plastic in this case) and the fiberglass will fail before the rivet will. You can get them from Aircraft Spruce. Just don't mix them up with the AN structural rivets. Also, if you buck them you will have to turn your rivet gun WAAAAAY down.

Wouldn't bother with rivets, personally. I did the first time and wouldn't do it again. I'd just use proseal and duct tape the suckers held in place until it cures, pull the tape, it's done. No holes, no rivets, smooth on the outside. Just my 2 cents.

I used JB Weld for the 2 NACA vents on my RV6. When I sold the plane w/ 900 hrs on it, they still looked great with no cracking or anything.
For good adhesion, scuff up the aluminum and the area on the plastic vent with some coarse sand paper. I just held them down with duct tape for 24 hours, as the previous poster said, and it worked great.

I'm sorry I rivetted mine on. glue next time.
95050071kq.jpg
mine
oshkosh20031048nl.jpg

unknown 7 :)

Last edited:
3-M 5200 sealant. The stuff is holding my plane together :)
It is slow to cure, but has a strong grip.
Don

Weld-On

I used Weld-On #10. They're on there for good!

I believe Van uses the same stuff to bond in the windows on the RV-10 (look in their web store). I used it on my canopy.

Wing NACA vent

Well on the wing anyway, I did it different than you all. I attached nut plates to the vent and attached it to the wing with #6 screws (dimpled the skin, countersunk the vent). I figured it would be easier to attach the duct to the vent out side the wing and then fit the vent inside and screw it on.
On the fuse vent however, I'm goin to use JB weld.