dwilson

Well Known Member
I plan to powder coat my panel in the next couple of weeks. Went into the powder coat place to select color. Just naturally assumed glossy finish until I saw a textured look. I really like the look, but the sales person said it might be difficult to make the clear computer printed labels from Avery stick to the textured finish.

Has anyone found this to be a problem?

Any compelling reason to use or not use textured VS glossy?

Thanks,

Duane

Well...

I used Formica on my instrument panel and console. I coated the computer printed labels with clear satin polyuethane. After two years of flying every thing on the panel is doing fine but I noticed on the flight back from North Carolina yesterday that the left main tank selection marker was missing (a good sized black filled circle to allow for detent slop). I'm not sure if I forgot to coat it but the point is, they will come off and I would be greatly surprized if surface texture has anything to do with it - make sure the surface is CLEAN!

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
FYI on powdercoat

I had a motorcycle frame powdercoated a couple years back and the guy showed me several texture and color samples. The one I liked best had a slightly rough texture to it, but I was warned that this particular choice did not survive sun exposure. I don't know if this was due to a lack of reflectivity or some other factor, but be sure to get a powdercoat that is intended to be exposed to sun.

I've decided to craft mine out of . . . wood!

Yes, I was a wood worker long before I picked up a rivet gun. I figure a wood panel and console will be heavier, but if i use the right combination of woods it will be beautiful and very easy to customize.

I like the look and will be trimming the cabin with some type of wood.

dwilson said:
...but the sales person said it might be difficult to make the clear computer printed labels from Avery stick to the textured finish.
When you apply the label, heat the surface a bit with a hairdryer (NOT a heatgun). Use the heat, and some pressure from your finger, to warm the label after application to ensure good bonding. We used this technique in the Corps all the time to get the reflective tape to stick to our helmets.

The challenge with a textured finish seems to be labeling it.

Mark Taylor highlights his search for the perfect labeling system on his web site.

He finally selected the Decal Pro, which looks like a good solution.