airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I'll preface this question by saying that I'm NOT an RF guru, so I'm asking...

I have dual Archer NAV antennae, one in each wingtip, but I'm only using one NAV reciever (my 430W). The 430W also needs a glideslope antenna - will the Archer in the other wingtip suffice for that or do I need to build another antenna? I've seen some stripped-coax designs inside the main gear fairing that I wouldn't mind doing if I have to, but I was hoping the other NAV antenna would soak up enought of that off-nominal-frequency RF to serve the purpose. Anybody have experience with that?

Edit - to clarify, I'm talking about using a dedicated Archer Nav Antenna (I have two) for each service - one for the Nav feed and one for the Glideslope feed to the 430W, no splitters involved.

Last edited:
Yes your plan will work. And in my experience, quite well.
Because GS frequencies are almost exactly three times higher than VOR frequencies, VOR antennas make good GS antennas, too. (converse is not necessarily true.)

Your other option would be to use a splitter. But it sounds like both antennas are already in and wired. You will need a splitter if you ever install a second VOR.

In my 170, my single nav antenna (forward-facing "whiskers" on the vert. stab.) drives two navs and a glideslope receiver through a 3-way splitter. Assuming both of your Archer wingtip antennae are equivalent you should be fine driving a VOR with one and a glideslpe with the other. Methinks the fact that nav and glideslope signals can be received on the same antenna is no accident.;)

Last edited: