StuartAberdein

I'm New Here
I am thinking of buying an RV-6 or RV-7. Two questions..

1. Would an RV-6 or RV-7 be suitable for glider towing?

2. Our field is quite rough grass. How well would an RV-6 or 7 handle this. The wheels look a bit small. Can they be modified to take larger wheels?

Thanks.

1) Check the FAR's on glider towing by experimentals. I seem to recall that it is prohibited.

2) The small wheels make for a rough ride on a rough field. Once upon a time, Van's prototyped mounting larger wheels, but nothing came of that...

Definately not

Although it might be a suitable plane, the operating limitations specifically prohibit it by default.
You might be about to get a new set issued for specific testing purposes but I am no expert here.
Best,
Kahuna

Glider towing and intentional parachute jumping are specifically prohibited for amateur-built aircraft. Exceptions can be petitioned for to the local FSDO. I know of instances where parachute jumping has been approved for suitable aircraft, but I don't know of any glider towing approvals.
BTW Now that I am retired, my login shows up as "ANN" since I am logged on from the home computer. Haven't figured out how to change this yet.
Mel...DAR

Aside from the legal stuff

The stall speed of the RV is 15+ mph higher than the tugs usually used. Towing at a comfortable speed for an RV would be getting towards the upper end of the envelope for most Schweitzers and other ships with low L/D.

Also I would not subject my RV to the punishment of a rough field on a daily a basis eigher.

Pawnees seem to be going for a song and would be much better suited for your mission. Good luck.

Another consideration in towing gliders is, at glider towing speed you're not getting enough cooling air through the engine to properly cool it. This past summer, I tried flying our RV-6 across the Cascade Range in Oregon along side a couple of friends who were flying an N3N and the other in a Stearman. I couldn't keep the cylinder head temp out of the red without speeding up and getting some air going through it. It was a warm morning, about 75 degrees at 8000 ft.

Bob Severns

I have considerabel experience towing and agree with the above posts. You would need something like a Bearhawk for the type of operation you suggest, or a Murphy Rebel or Moose if you wanted metal.

rrrob

No go

rrrob said:
I have considerabel experience towing and agree with the above posts. You would need something like a Bearhawk for the type of operation you suggest, or a Murphy Rebel or Moose if you wanted metal.

rrrob
rrob I think you missed experimental aircraft are not allowed to do glider tow / jump plane Ops, Bearhawk, Moose or RV, regardless. G

Glider towing

Thanks to all of you for your input. I live in South Africa and there is no prohibition on glider towing for homebuilts here. Quite a few people do it, mainly with the East European Rotax-powered ultralights and it seems to work well. I know it is OKed in Germany too. However what people say about the stalling speed being too high makes sense so I will have to think again. Thanks.

There is always the RV-9/A

Stuart,

There is always the -9 series. The lower stall speed and 160 hp engine w/ CS prop should work fine. The cooling might be an issue but you can fix that easily enough.

I know of at least one RV-4 in Germany that is used for glider towing so...

Before someone asks, the German who built the RV-4RG uses his stiff legged -4 for as a glider tug.